Weather consideration: straw or hydroseed

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by gdeangel, Oct 10, 2006.

1. gdeangel

gdeangel LawnSite Member

I've had some conflicting advice about whether hydroseeding or staw is better for late fall (as in October/November) applications. I'm told hydroseed germinates faster, but that the old fashion broadcase seed with straw is likely to wash out in inclement rainy fall weather. What's the best chance for a sucessful install about now when temps are starting to get down into the 40's to 50's with a good deal of rain?

Thanks

2. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive been hyro-seeding with my hydro-seeder over a year now and believe its the only way to go. Remember the mulch is very critical for any kind of seeding it is only a protection.I use only the 70-30 blend and a 3lb. bag of profile tacking agent 3. If applied to where you cant see the soil is a proper job. and with the tac in it the way it lays down is the way to go. I feel if this stuff moves from rains straw would of been 5 times worse. Here in Md. i have 2 more jobs and hoping for the best. A good protection also is maybe mix just some straight mulch in seeder with tac and apply a light coat over every thing. I dont have faith in straw any more since i have been hydr-seeding. I will say straw in the extreme heat of the summer will provide a better protection for the seed when it can bake and ruin the seed. Winter months it will mostly lay dorment. I made a mistake 2 years ago at my mothers new house by seeding 2 days before thanksgiving and putting the straw on very heavy. Next spring it mildewed and made me more of a mess.
    Mike

3. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Mike. Hydroseeding is the way to go. I did my first Hydroseeding job last week and with the temps being in the 50 and 60's, I have 1" green grass after 8 days. Hard to believe it comes up that fast, but it does. If the customer will pay the difference for Hydroseeding, I would go that route every time.

4. Mike33

Hydro-seeding is no more expensive than conventional way i feel. Same seed, fertlize, lime. Tac is cheap, hydro mulch is just a little higher but compare the coverage it is close. main thing compare the labor in volved. I get around 8 cents sq.' and really not making a killing but a good convience.
    Mike

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We have been hydroseeding exclusively for almost 5 years now. I haven't touched a bale of straw since. As far as contact, application, and erosion resistance go, hydroseeding is stand alone. You are pretty much limitless in your choices of materials, application, where you can apply, how you apply, etc. that you just can't get with straw and seed. You can grow a lawn either way, but our only way is hydroseeding.As mentioned, straw has it place.

6. gdeangel

gdeangel LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. When you are looking to possible wash-out, is there a difference in tac agents. I see Profile Tac 3 is popular... anything to steer clear of?

7. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I feel that straw works a little better in the hot dry summer months on non irrigated sites, but hydromulch will hold erosion better and perform better than straw in the cooler months. On irrigated sites, I dont think it really makes a difference which mulch you use, or even if you use any, unless erosion is a concern. You also have the option now of using a hydrostraw mulch, there are at least three similar products on the market i know of. GrassFiber, HydroStraw, and a cotton/straw fiber hydromulch, I cant never remember their name. These products are made from the blades of grass after the seeds are harvested. The fibers are heat treated to eliminate weed seeds and then cut into little pices for use in a hydroseeder. I have used the cotten fiber mulch and really like the way it works. Gives you the best of both worlds. Straw as a mulch and the convience of applying with your hydroseeder.

8. Mike33

Were have to do a yard in a week and it is getting nip and tuck weather wise for germination. You mentioned hydro mulch works good even through winter? i havent done one late in the season yet with hydro seeding since i have been doing it just over 1 year.
    Mike

9. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I dislike the weed seed and weed grass seed issue that is common with many straw applications.

10. Mike33

I agree, farmers are not bailing good straw.
    Mike