1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Weather is crazy here

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toroguy, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

The weather here in MN is two months ahead of schedule. Our snow is gone. Really its gone, a normal time frame for grass being exposed from under the snow pack is mid March. Our temps have been in the 40's or at least above freezing for the past month.

This will eliminate the flood potential for us and our neighbors to the south.

Im wondering if this is a good thing or a bad thing for the turf? In a normal Winter the snow pack melts from March 7th to around the 30th, leaving soggy, puddled lawns through mid to late april depending on the snowfall amount during the year. This year the puddles have already formed and are absorbed. My normal start date is April 15th, with a full schedule on May 1st. It wouldnt suprise me to be on a full schedule by April 1st this year.

Anyone else remember a Winter this mild or having an unusually early start date?
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't get too excited yet. The weather last year was about the same until March when the temps were a little below normal. Generally you need 7 days of mean daily temps of 55 degrees before the grass really gets going.
  3. trophytkr

trophytkr LawnSite Member

Never have I seen a winter quite like this one!
    being next door to you in wisconsin we have seen the same type of weather. I can remember one other year where we had scant snow coverage but colder temps. We had alot of winter kill that year hope that doesn't happen this year!:rolleyes:
  4. Robert Ewald

Robert Ewald LawnSite Member

I am thinking early spring as well. I am down here in Rockford IL and the temp is 42 it has been like this for almost 10-12 days. I was out doing a bid this morning and looked at the guys hostas around his pool and they were greening up. I am looking at starting spring clean ups and mulching around the first week of march and hoping the weather holds and be mowing by first week of april. But only good ole mother nature knows how this story will end.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

A couple of years ago we had an unusual mild winter. We began a full 3 weeks early. I seem to remember it was due to the El Nino effect.

I wouldn't mind starting early this year...especially if there isn't any snow to plow!
  6. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the replies gentlemen,

I very much enjoy this odd weather, the forecast is for rain Monday and Tuesday. Rain in Mpls. in Feb?

Good luck
  7. Yardworks

Yardworks LawnSite Member

This has been a strange year. It has been terrible for snow removal, but I got a lot of other things done. The house got re-shingled, skid steer sandblasted and painted, garage insulated-sheetrocked-taped-painted, painted shop, painted two plows, heater installed in garage, and now I'm working on landscaping around the house. The bad thing is all my projects have cost money when I'd rather be making money. My wife is a little happier with me around a bit more to help with the youngsters. I guess you have to look at the bright side.