weather programs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Jun 17, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

do you use a weather program on your computer before leaving in the morning to do your route? if so, what are you using? i like "weather bug", but it's loaded with spyware. Now i'm using "The weather channel", and it's not good at all!

have any links?

2. Moe Fish

Moe Fish LawnSite Member
    from Fla

3. lawnjockey51

lawnjockey51 LawnSite Member

Try www.wunderground.com

They say for five bucks a year you can get zero adds

I like it better than the weather channel

4. LIBERTY LAWNCARE 2

LIBERTY LAWNCARE 2 LawnSite Member

I like www.intellicast.com.

Very accurate & gives historical weather if you're interested.

There's one out there that will send weather updates to your cell or Palm, but I can't remember what it is. I'll post it if I do.

5. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I use some or all of the above. There is one really cool app though that's not mentioned. It's a screen saver that displays current NWS radar for your location all of the time. It is not free but it is cheap with no recurring expenses. One tip: It does work very well with 800 by 600 resolution despite what the programmers of the screen saver say. I have on my computer at 800 by 600 and it works great. Full screen.

http://www.gui-dynamics.com/RadarSaver.shtml

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

C'mon people, why not just use the National Weather Service for your town?

I've got it set up on my desktop so as soon as I click it, it brings up my forecast and the radar.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/forecasts/MNZ053.php?warncounty=MNC025&city=Stacy

Plus the forecast changes every 4 hours, and if there's rain moving through, they give you a short term forecast about every hour.

Plus #2, it's free!

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know what the NWS accuracy is like where you live but it is under 25% here for rain, snow etc...

We can watch a thunderstorm march out of West Virginia, go across Virginia and right up to our door step before it dissipates. At other times they will just appear out of nowhere. A 4 hour forecast update is useless around here. Also most of the time their radar is so full of ground clutter that you can't even see rain through the clutter.

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Shoot.... I agree, the forecast isn't the best, the only thing that is, is the old look out the window routine.

The other thing I've got is "My-Cast 3.0" on my Verizon cell phone.

Anytime I want, I can pull up a forecast there, or I can get live doppler radar loops as well.

It was 4.95 or something like that to download, and then it's about .01 / minute or so each time I use it.

As far as snow, I just wait around and watch the "Intellicast" radar, and then for closer views watch the NWS radar.

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I been burned so many times I just go and start working. I'll quit if its too wet or it starts to lightening.