weather services

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by plowking35, Jan 5, 2000.

1. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Geoff from Maine had me thinking. His weather forcast was way off for yesterday, which led me think, Does anyone use a weather service for better forcasting then from local media outlets.<br>We use the web service from DTN, and snowpro uses a service that calls and pages him when weather is impending. He claims that they have only been wrong 1 time in three years. the local media is right one time in three years.<br>What other services do you use, and how are they, and how is the pricing. <br>Mine is 150 per quarter, and I have access to the enitre US radar and weather info, along with forcast updates every 2 hrs and radar updates every 15 min.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

2. n y snow pros

n y snow pros LawnSite Senior Member

well not quite that good my weather service missed the boat 3 times in 3 years ,not bad as we depend heavily on our weather info,but it has a hefty price tag of 295.00 per month.it is nice to go to sleep and know you do not have to wonder are we getting snow or not and how much.our service tells me to the hour when,how much what type,how much on paved surfaces etc,but its exspensive<p>----------<br>J PARKER<br>914-485-4200

3. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I did forget to tell ya that i went to the weather services web page, and they did say accumulations were possible. The thing about the weather service is they only issue forcast at 3:18 am 10:40 am and 9:40 pm.<p>Geoff

4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Parker,<p>Wow, that's a nice service, I've not heard of that before. Do you sign up for just the 5 winter months or do you have to pay year-round?<p>

5. Stephen

Stephen LawnSite Member

The only additional service we use besides the web and local news is our arrangement with the local company that deals in pagers/ answering service, etc. will call us if the town boys are called out to sand/plow/etc.<p>----------<br>Stephen<br>

6. n y snow pros

n y snow pros LawnSite Senior Member

LAZER, I REALLY LIKE OUR SERVICE AND IT IS A 5 OR 6 MONTH SIGN UP SERVICE WHICH STARTS NOV 1 AND ENDS APRIL 1, ANOTHER ASPECT TO THIS SERVICE IS THAT WHEN SIGNED UP YOU CAN TALK TO A METEROLIGIST (SP) 24HRS ADAY 7 DAYS A WEEK. THE COMPANY IS CALLED FLEET WEATHER OUT OF FISHKILL NEW YORK.THESE PEOPLE DO WEATHER REPORTS FOR ALL THE SHIPPING COMPANYS AROUND THE WORLD.I WOULD IMAGINE THEY COULD HELP YOU AS WELL.NBC,CBS,ABC AND THE WEATHER CHANNEL GET ALOT OF WEATHER INFO FROM FLEETWEATHER. THERE PHONE NUMBER IS 914-226-8200 JOHN PARKER<p>----------<br>J PARKER<br>914-485-4200