Weather Website

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Lazer, Dec 1, 2000.

1. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering where I could get weather information in the internet.

(Don't give me weather.com)

I was curious if any knew of a quality (paid?) site I could use at the office.

(No cable TV, there. I know all about DTN, just not sure about pulling the trigger and am looking for something else.)

2. cowboy

cowboy LawnSite Member

Well check out weatherbase.com, to get some historical information.

I'm in aviation, if you want some really good weather look at some private pilot sites and you should find the weather. You will need to find weather that is decoded though.

I'll look around at some of the sites I know and see what I can find for you, that someone off the street can read.

Cowboy

3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

DTN has an internet based subscription service. In the past it was $30 per quarter. They have a 7 day free trial at: http://www.dtnonline.com/ . You customize your own pages. You have access to all up to the minute weather data.

Tried it one winter, but couldn't get decent reception via cell phones back then. Graphics of moving radar would have taken forever. Object was to be able to read current radar in the truck to know whether to do a quick clearing if it's still going to snow, or if snow is ending then do a good cleanup. Was a great picture on desktop, and info no more than 10-15 min old. Weather channel (& weather.com) buy their info from DTN, but get 45 - 60 minute old data (cheaper to buy older data).

4. iowastorm

iowastorm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Lazer,

Are you looking for real time weather or forecast data?

5. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

P.S. Advantage of DTNonline is that you can access your customized pages from any computer connected to the internet, anywhere in the world, and get up to the minute weather data.

DTN weather system is set up at one site, and not remotely accessable(?) Think they were working on remote access couple of years ago.

6. Lazer

Thanx guys;

storm,
    I've somewhat "de-remotized" i.e. I don't have the mobil computer anymore, I return calls when I get back to the office and don't write/type up quotes on the site anymore.

I did try a small portable TV which would pick up a regional radar, but the image wasn't readable.

Anyway, I'm checking out this DTNonline, thanks GroundKprs, that might scratch me right where I itch.

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I think Intellicast.com is the best and it is free. Updated radar 4 times in an hour. i don't see how you can beat that. Local radar and 6 hour loop

8. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Dont waste your money on the DTN web service. I used it last year, all forcasts are from NWS which means they are not worth jack, and the radar is at least an hour old all the time.
    Dino

9. Lazer

Dino wrote:
    "all forecasts are from NWS, which means they are not worth jack"

Every forcast I've seen/heard for my area has been a NWS forecast. (Radio, TV, web, weather channel, newspaper, etc.)

Who else has the weather collection infrastucture and computation power to indendently construct a weather forecast?

10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

NWS forecasts are accurate, if, and thats a big if, you are located near one of their reporting stations. Several years ago NWS eliminated most of the local reporting stations and centralized their forecasting in regional reporting stations. For Dino and myself, the closest NWS station is 75 miles north in MA. They rarely come close to accuracy in the CT river valley area. Intellicast is just as bad, though the 12 hour forecast is almost as good as a coin toss. I compare the 3 local TV station forecasts with three web sites (weather, intellicast, nws) then check my own weather station outside, then set the alarm for 2am and check again.