Weather

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JSMLAWNCARE, Feb 25, 2002.

1. JSMLAWNCARE

JSMLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

Is anybody worried about the weather... The last I heard we were about 3 - 4 inches below avg. for this time of year in Maryland. If we don't get rain soon, I mean alot of it, it's going to be a bad spring.

Jim M

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

3 to 4 inches? we are way more behind than that. more like 20 inches. if we dont get some good rain soon, there will be mandatory watering bans for our area. they are already asking us to conserve now.

3. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

We just had two solid days of rain here. We have been in a drought for sometime now. We are on our second year of mandatory water restrictions. This year we are doing pretty good for rain, but our lakes are still down a couple of feet.

4. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

JSM I'm in MD also and the drought situation is definately something to be concerned with. My customers are all in west balto. co. where water is cheap. However they don't water thier lawns anyway. I'm going to use the drought to my advantage and sell aeration in the spring to allow what h2o we get to get into the soil. For all we know it could rain all spring like a few yrs ago and we will be cutting when it is the LEAST WET. If it is dry when I start to aerate I'm going to charge extra to water the lawn before aeration or ask them to water the night before. In my area people expect thier lawns to look good in the spring and they don't give up on drought situations until Aug.

5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Concerned? Yes. Worried? No.

Why waste your energy worrying about things you cannot control-like the weather.

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

no use to worry, right. but im planting seed .in febuary.
    im hoping this early start will help the spring plant get thru august.of course the way the weather is now august might not be like august either.so like he said ,just oll with what comes.
    key to survival.later now.serious mode off

7. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

We have been doing our part here in trying to save water. Just turning the water off while brushing your teeth and turning your main water pressure down will help. Pass the word around. With all thats happening we cant forget how important water is to us. I think drouts are starting to be more common now and the states that are starting to get drouts are growing.:alien:

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Since April of last year we have had only 1 month (May) of above normal rain. Our shortage for that period is 18.07" near Annapolis, MD.

9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I saw a longterm weather report and they said the drought was going to continue for the northeast and southeast well into the summer. This weather pattern seems to be the norm instead of the exception. Here we will be in the fourth year of it. I think the climate is just changing.

10. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

weather is unpredictable, it will do what it wants when it wants, sometimes good times sometimes bad times. i remember lastyear people complaining about to much! i just go with the flow and hope for the best