1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Weatherizing Open Trailer Wood Floors

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by rmdm94, Apr 30, 2010.

1. rmdm94

rmdm94 LawnSite Member
    from 34240

What do you guys use to weatherize open trailer Wood floors. I am changing the wood on my trailer and I am using pt lumber but what do I use to weatherize the wood? Do I stain it, paint it or just leave it?

2. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

I think a few of the guys on here use diesel fuel.

I just let mine get all nasty cause it;s cheap douglas fir.

But I would coat something on it, if it's nice to keep it that way...my floor gets beat to all hell.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would get wood that's already made for the application.

4. Lawn Pawn

Lawn Pawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from zone 3

As you said.....

Start with good PT, Then I slather on linseed oil. Couple times a year to start, then just go by how it looks.

5. Krafty

Krafty LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from St. Louis MO

Used diesel motor oil!! Put it on twice a year just roll it on with a old trashed roller, let it dry for about 24hrs and the best part is it is cheap!!

6. bucket

bucket LawnSite Member
    from midwest

50/50 used motor oil and diesel fuel here.

7. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

I use deck wash in the fall then after it dries for a week or so hit it with Thompson's. My poor trailer has to sit outside in the off season.

8. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

Mine has outdoor treated lumber, I thought all open trailers did? About once a year, you can brush on some thompsons sealer, and it should be good for a long time, but it is also important to apply it to the underside too, that is one messy job! There was a guy on here or another forum, cant remember, but he laid down some sort of sheet rubber on his trailer, and said it protected the wood and was a better surface than the wood, Also some guys around here lay indoor/outdoor carpet on their trailer floors, but I dont know why, this would cause bad mold between the carpet and the wood I would assume?

9. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

i've always wanted to put line-x on my trailer, but at the same time our wood is still in very good shape and it's ten years old, so not in a big hurry...has anyone else done this?

10. jason9696

jason9696 LawnSite Member

I pressure washed the deck of my trailer, then a few days later used some clearance Thompsons deck stain. It came out pretty good, and I can see the water beading up when it rains.