Weathermatic buys rain/freeze sensor manufacturer

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jimmyburg, Nov 19, 2007.

1. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

Weathermatic buys rain/freeze sensor manufacturer

Friday, November 16, 2007

Weathermatic, one of the industry’s fastest growing landscape irrigation manufacturers, has reported the acquisition of Ecologic, developer of the RainBrain line of rain and rain/freeze sensors. The announcement was made by Mike Mason, president of Weathermatic. Ecologic’s manufacturing operations will move into the Weathermatic production facility in Dallas, Texas. Ecologic founder Dave Klever will oversee the transition.
    “Our acquisition of Ecologic further strengthens the Weathermatic line of water conservation products,” said Mason.
    “Weathermatic is the only irrigation manufacturer with the technology to produce a completely integrated system of ‘smart’ irrigation products.
    “These include Weathermatic’s SmartLine series of weather-based controllers, SmartWire two-wire decoder systems, low volume irrigation and now a full line of weather sensors,” he said.
    Weathermatic recently acquired Salco, a well-known manufacturer of low volume irrigation equipment for residential, commercial and municipal installations.
    “In the coming years, water conservation products will become a major segment of the irrigation industry and Weathermatic is positioned to take full advantage of this market-driven growth,” said Mason.
    “As communities across the country mandate weather-based ‘smart’ irrigation control systems and rain shut-off devices, and continue to offer rebates for these upgrades, Weathermatic will be one of the few companies that comprehensively serves these water-conscious markets,” he said.
    The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency reports that landscape irrigation systems in the South and Southwest currently account for 70 percent of outdoor water use. Industry studies have also concluded that more than half of landscape irrigation is wasted due to over-watering, improper scheduling, run off and inefficient sprinklers.
    Ecologic’s Klever has developed sensor products for the irrigation industry for more than 20 years. Prior to founding Ecologic, he designed rain sensors for Glen-Hilton Products, originator of the Mini-Clik, one of the most popular rain sensors in the industry.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Ever see a first-generation Mini-Clik? Very primitive, but kind of cool.

3. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

got pics? :waving:

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I got one somewhere in a box of junk. If I see it I'll take some photos.

5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Cool cool!!!

6. This may answer a rumor I had heard that they want to incorporate an accurate rain gauge into the weather monitor.

7. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I think I still have some old Rain Bird Rain Checks out there in service....good idea, but they tended to collect debris...

8. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Yes to accurate rain gauge, and humidity while we're at it. no wind, its overkill and causes too many problems for what its worth