Weathermatic smartline [SL1624] specs look incredible... any actual exp?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by enorl76, May 15, 2014.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

enorl76 - I have 3 older Smartlines that are brand new sitting in a box, as well as the weather stations. I think they are about 3-4 years old. Haven't used them. Not a huge fan of them. Make me an offer if you want them. I'll check on them at the shop and check build date if it is stamped.

2. Autoflow

Autoflow LawnSite Member

I've installed over 100 SL1600's or SL4800's over the past 3-4 years and haven't had a single failure. I love them. As mentioned before the speaker wire terminals are annoying and only having a single common terminal is annoying but easily overcome. It's a bit tight for space if you connect their weather station or rain sensor receiver in, the fuse wire has to be manipulated so you can close the door, but apart from that they are very good and have a lot of very good features. I have 4 aircards in place and I think they are very good for the price. The wireless weather station signal is weaker than Hunter, but apparently WM are about to bring out a much better wireless setup.

3. pongajim

pongajim LawnSite Member

The hand held control unit is no longer available. You added a little transmitter unit to the controller and could manage every zone from wherever you were within range. They have now gone to the web and you have to purchase a very expensive yearly service plan to be able to access your zones. So you think you own your system but NOT. They have you with that big bucks yearly subscription requirement. Wouldn't touch it unless you have the bucks in your pocket forever. Actually I wouldn't touch any product that required a yearly subscription.

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Running a site from the office was a dream I never realized. My clients wanted the crew on site, rather than paying for Central. When things change, all my ex- sites are set-up for Central Control. www.rainmaster.com

5. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

So, what manufacture doesn't charge for web \ remote access. Using a little handheld remote control is completely different from having remote \ web access. Some just charge more for the access. Everyone is still in that $150 - $350 a year range though.

1idejim likes this.
  6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

And you are???

7. pongajim

pongajim LawnSite Member

My issue was simply needing to manage the zones with a handheld without having to add web service. The system gets info from an on site dedicated weather unit so again no web access is needed and it's more accurate anyway.