Weathermatic Valve Stuck Open

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by MEXANDME, Jul 4, 2011.

1. MEXANDME

MEXANDME LawnSite Senior Member

If the homeowner closes the valve using the flow-control; the water turns off.

Could this simply be one of those old bad square WM solenoids? I know a bad solenoid can cause a valve to not open. Can it also cause a valve to not close?

(I have not been to the site yet.)

Thanks,

Mex

2. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

Probably a diaphragm. Stuck open is usually diaphragm.

3. My experience with WM valves sticking on is the holes in the diaphragm swell shut or something of that nature. Not sure what WM valve you have though.

4. MEXANDME

Fimco...

....it is the N100SF 1"

Thanks,

Mex

5. I'm embarrassed or maybe should be proud to tell you I'm clueless as to which WM valve that is. Too lazy to look up either.

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed. Most likely the diaphragm.

7. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

That's the Nitro valve.
    I'd take an extra one with you.
    Could be diaphragm, solenoid sticking/debris in solenoid chamber or port, rock/debris in valve, valve bonnet might be loose, controller may be outputting a constant 24v to valve, etc.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen stuck solenoid plungers in the old W*M square solenoids - no debris seen, just stuck. Easily freed, but do you really want to put it back in service?

9. MEXANDME

At a minimum, I will replace the solenoid. Probably everything but the body.

I was just curious if a bad solenoid alone could cause the valve to stick open.

Thank again,

Mex

10. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

in my experience .. It's best to not gut swap from those old wm valves .

The brass threads that are placed inside the body just spin around because of the plastic and you can't fully tighten the top down to the body