Weathermatic Valve Stuck Open

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by MEXANDME, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I've replaced M24E solenoids with the S24B solenoids, and no issues, but I do little repair work on W*M valves.

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Throw in a Silver Bullet, problem over.

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

A cold Coors Light? Sure thing.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. rlpsystems

rlpsystems LawnSite Senior Member

Nine times outta ten it's debris that's stuck between the diaphram and seat. A solenoid thats been damaged by an aeroter or manuely open could cause a problem too... Step by step mexx

5. Mike Leary

What usually happens, is a pebble keeps the diaphragm open. The amateur trys to dog down the flow control, trashing the diaphragm. Being a reverse-flow valve, W&M will pass almost all crap. I've never had the solenoid get plugged up.

6. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

Me either but I've replaced dozens of bad W/M solenoids.
    I've seen two that have had the plunger stuck open causing it to run constantly. You could not pry the plunger loose, it was like it welded .:hammerhead:

7. Mike Leary

Lucky you, I replaced literally hundreds of them during the W*M "plunge to infamy". :hammerhead:

8. irritation

I had the honor of being a service tech for a company that installed Toro during the late '80's to mid '90's.
    You don't know what service is all about until you deal with thousands of Flo-Pro's. :laugh:

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Or Rainbird TBird heads. I replaced thousands of those on RB's dime. But I would go with Flo-Pros being worse.

10. irritation

TBirds seemed to get out of adjustment easily and many quit rotating. R-50's had a problem with retraction and a mini/maxi paw system is a techs worse nightmare.
    But no comparison to the problems Toro had.