Weathermatic Valve Stuck Open

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by MEXANDME, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Autoflow

Autoflow LawnSite Member

From your experience how do the Weathermatic Silver Bullets go, or are you all scarred after their problems a few years back? Weathermatic are being pushed by my supplier and are relatively new to Australia. I installed 21 Silver bullets at my last client and I am about to install another 20 at another site. I also installed about 80 T3 rotors as well. They seem to be working fine and I love that they are easy to adjust the arc without the tool like a PGP.

I have always used Rainbird DVFs for valves and PGPs for rotors, but my supplier asked me to just give Weathermatic a try. Seeing my supplier has been good to me I agreed to try them. T3's are about 15% cheaper than PGPs and Silver bullets 40% cheaper than DVFs. Seeing things are much more expensive here than over there it is a pretty big difference in price, but I don't want to regret it if they start to fail early on.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

well-designed valve, with epic solenoid failures

Not for really high static pressures, as water hammer can actually bend the cover enough to burp water

3. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

Don't do it. If you do check date codes, you may be getting old crap.

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

True, if you've got a valve that has this white wire solenoid, you're home free.

DSCN0908wm.jpg

5. irritation

What about T-3 rotors?
    I haven't seen them in years and hated them when I did.

6. Wet_Boots

square solenoid aside, what major issues have the Silver Bullet valves?

7. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

I've seen the bottom of the body crack requiring replacement of the whole valve.
    Replaced more than I'd like to think about.

8. Wet_Boots

They crack at the threads? I haven't seen that yet.

9. irritation

I replaced a bank of four a couple years ago. Two had stress cracks on the bottom and one was leaking. The cracks weren't even close to the threads and no idea what caused them. I don't see them too often and gave me enough of a reason to stay away.The system has pretty high pressure but I have several others in the area with no problems.

10. Wet_Boots

Body cracks are a deal-killer for me, but I think I've seen none of them running with more than 90 psi static pressure