weathermatic

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by NC_Irrigator, Oct 26, 2003.

1. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Anybody use or repair any weathermatic products? ive got a corporate jobsite that another local company installed about 2 yrs ago <22 zones> & mostly 2" valves. with muchos problemos
    All weathermatic. Has Turbo3 heads? About the only thing i can say for these heads is they all pop down.

Ive got 2 or 3 zones that wont turn on. And the controller takes a brain surgeon to understand.

2. aquablue16

aquablue16 LawnSite Member

I have seen alot of those come back to my supplier as defective (not sure why) I installed a few and had 1 that was defective. The T-3 are easy to adjust but I noticed don't operate well in low pressure situations

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

We had weather-matic controllers on the golf course I was at years ago. Nothing but problems. They had a PC board that would fry all the time. I used to keep about a dozen PC boards on hand. Everytime it would storm, I knew I was going to be replacing them. We installed surge protectors and everything was grounded and they still fried. We eventually replaced them all with Rainbirds

4. aquablue16

While on the topic of defective equipment, the Toro Flo-Pro valves I heard have a problem with shrinking diaphragms. The EZ Flos out now are there "replacements". I just took on a service contract with 16 zones all FLO PROS. Will I be replacing valves or will Toro provide the diapraghms for replacement? any thoughts??...

5. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

im sure toro will warranty those diaphrams

6. But they won't warranty your time!

7. aquablue16

Thanks. I have lost all faith in Toro. In my opinion they're just way behind on R&D. I went to Weathermatic for a bit as their turf heads are easy to teach guys to adjust but I think the performance is weak. Hunter is the way to go. Rainbird lost me when they went retail...although I now see Toro is supplying Home Depot some stuff just shouldnt be pushed as DO IT YOURSELF Im sorry!!!

8. TennTexan

TennTexan LawnSite Member

ATTENTION Koster, and Aquablue:
    WeatherMatic makes a very good valve...not too sure about their rotors nowadays. The Toro Flo-Pro, like all other Toro stuff, is cheap crap, HOWEVER they are about the easiest valves in the world to sevice.
    When an older WM valve, or a Toro Flo-Pro that is older than just a few years, won't come on the problem is usually the same: the hole that lets water into the chamber above the diaphragm has gotten enlarged. Water flows in faster than it can exit under the solenoid and the valve won't open.
    I would check at the controller first with a volt-ohm meter to make sure the electric stuff is ok. If it reads good there I can just about promise the valve needs a new diaphragm only and will then work just fine. To confirm that, find the valve and turn it on at the controller, then go to the valve and listen. You will here a "hiss" of water rushing; that is the water leaving under the solenoid trying to open the valve. Don't rely on a "hum" from the solenoid, it is always possible that debris could be clogging the port, but if you hear water moving, it needs a new diaphragm. Toro recognized the problem and beefed up the entry hole in the diaphragm with some raised edges which you should make sure are present when you buy the replacement. We buy about 40 Flo-Pro diaphragms a year and use them all by turn-off time. I don't know if WeatherMatic did anything with their diaphragms as they last many years before they develop the problem. Hope that helps.

9. TennTexan

TennTexan LawnSite Member

PS to my post (IMPORTANT)
    The Toro Flo-Pro has a screw-on "jar type" bonnet. When you take it off, you should install the diaphragm INTO THE BONNET unlike most valves where you would put the diaphragm into the valve body. You will need to make sure the control tube pokes through the center hole in the diaphragm, then you just kind of hold it in place while you put the top back on. Also, the flow control usually turns itself down when you screw the bonnet back on, so after the bonnet is tight, you will need to open the flow control wheel back. Also I saw a post about shrinking diaphragms....The Flo-Pro tops loosen themselves over time. that makes them leak a little. Replace the diaphragm and crank the top down tight, they won't leak then. By the way, now that Rain Bird has a good rotor, why would anyone put anything else in the ground? seeya

10. h2o2gunr

h2o2gunr LawnSite Member

instructions for dealing with toro products.

1) retrieve largest hammer in your collection. smash the hell out of the offending p.o.s.:blob2: