1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Web hosting

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by gardenkeeper88, Mar 12, 2007.

1. OhioJeff

OhioJeff Inactive

Ok, I think it's easy to see that it's a poor assumption or a generalization gone bad that landscapers do not use databases - but I think it's far from belittling. Nobody here said anyone has ******** computer skills.

Okay, are we all done with this off course tangent?
  2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, that was a little too harsh. I stand corrected.
  3. WebMan

WebMan LawnSite Member
    from D/FW TX

I was in no way saying landscapers don't possibly need or have the ability to use databases. Just that by far MOST will never need a heavy database driven site.

This forum software is the world's most popular and does fine on PHP as do most all of today's forums. This is an example of something totally database driven with very heavy PHP/MySQL use. :clapping:

But most landscapers either won't use databases or will use them to a limited extent, certainly not to the point minor performance differences in some applications (*nix vs. Windows) would ever be noticed. A bad Windows based application will crawl compared to a good PHP site and vice versa. It's mainly how good the programmer is at using the tools, not the tools themselves.

(Like I said I have both types so I am not "pushing" one or the other, just a fact that *nix hosting is generally less expensive and well suited for most things any contractor would need, not just landscapers)