web site? is it worth it??

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by casey humphrey, Apr 4, 2008.

1. casey humphrey

casey humphrey LawnSite Member

i have ? this may sound like a no brainer but how many of you have a web site?? and does the web site really pay off??? how many hits does the web site get??? what are your thoughts on this ?? i was thinkin of gettn a web site but i am kinda small right now but am slowly growing. thanks for the feed back !!!

2. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

web sites are good because potential customers can look at thier leisure. also when they search for a lawn company yours can pop up if you do it right, even if it's not the one thier looking for

3. mowdog1

mowdog1 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Depends on what you are planning on using the site for. The cost of a domain + web hosting + email address is as little as $50 per year.

You may have to spend a few bucks to have someone design and code it for you. That is if you want it to look professional.

If I was a LCO I would get one, but don't expect it to really change your business. Use it a tool to list your contact information, take some photos, maybe post some customer feedback, etc..

Come up with a simple, meaningful, and memorable URL. That way when a neighbor of one of your customers says, "hey looks good, who mows your yard" they can say its, blah blah, they have a site if you want to contact them. www.blahblah.com

4. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

I would get one if I was you. If you know anything about computers you can get a nice looking site for $100/yr or so. Don't pay someone $800 to build one in your first year though.

It gives people a chance to get to know you and learn about your other services. I have all of my info about the fertilizer program on there - no way to fit that on a postcard!. It's another way to sell your stuff!

Mike

5. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

Speaking of good domain names...any lco's interested in WeedFreeLawns (dot) com ???

Not using it... would like to move it on to someone that could utilize it...

6. jwillaford

jwillaford LawnSite Member

A website does a couple of things for you.
    • It gives legitimacy to your business. We all know that there are many landscape companies that are fly by night. A well-designed website can subside those fears.
    • It is where the industry and the consumer are going. We have noticed in our marketing that more people will make the decision to call us for an estimate after they have visited our site. The fact is that people are turning to google now over the yellow pages.
    • Like some else said, it is a great way for the customer to window shop.

The reality is that you don't have to have a website that has flash, dynamic content, or all the other bells and whistle. However, I would say that for the cost you spend [which is minimal compare to the return] you can have a great web presence.

7. B & B Yardscape

B & B Yardscape LawnSite Member

My site has around 45 pages to it right now. There is no way I could print and hand out a 45 page brochure every time someone asked to see it.

Buy the domain name of your choice. Have it hosted for free. There are servers that do it for free. Lycos is one. Build it yourself and see what happens. If you want to go more professional, either hire it done or learn the code in the future.

I recommend not putting dates or prices on it. That way if you don't come back and change it for a while you won't look silly.

8. jwillaford

jwillaford LawnSite Member

I agree about the dates and prices.

What's funny to me is that this question is asked over and over on this site...

People go to a website to ask if a website is worth it?

hmm....

9. Jb3NH

Jb3NH LawnSite Member

I absoulutely agree with Jwillaford. Even if your website is just an 'online business card' take the time to add pictures and a mail to link. One page layout is fine, but i think people are used to 4 pages or so, Home, Gallery, Services, and Contact Us. If i may, if your going to do it yourself, i'd advise using www.hostgator.com. Thier customer support is awesome, you get a 24/7 800 number to call if you have problems and theres a chat with tech support window. Good luck. I have no idea what a site costs to build, i did it myself, took alot longer than i'd thought, it might look kinda cheese..www.jbcolandscape.com

10. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

I put my site together about 6 weeks ago. http://lesleinlawn.com

I build it myself (after many hours of research and learning)

Cost = Domain - $12.95 year, Hosting $7.95 a month. I ran two adds for two weeks in the local paper $72.00

Website - 2 contacts, 2 jobs. Paper 0 contacts, 0 jobs.

I have my site ranked number one in many categories on yahoo and google.

It is a simple site, professional looking.

It is just another way of getting contacts.

I am very proud of my rankings on the search engines.

I am out ranking (by a long shot) all other local competition. They paid for their design and optimizing services.