Web site or News Paper?

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by TCO, Jan 21, 2009.

1. TCO

TCO LawnSite Member

I am thinking about a web site to draw in more business for my small company.
    I found it very hard to grow last year due to the job loss here in Michigan.
    I spent a small fortune on yellow book,news papers,and fliers. This year I am thinking about a web site ,yellow book and fliers,as I had no luck w/ news paper. We offer party tents as well. So, Does your web sites bring in much business?

Thanks Tim

2. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

A site will give you very good ROI if done right.

3. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree that a website will give you a much better return on your investment. We we first got into lawn seeding I spent $ 7000.00 on newspaper ads and did not get $ 7000.00 in business from it. I get lots of activity from the Internet with an investment that is virtually neglegable.

I did get much better results on Yellow page ads than the newspapers but get even more from the internet at less than 1/10th the cost. I have now dropped my yellow page ads and my only advertising is the internet and word of mouth.

4. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

This shouldnt even be a question. GET A SITE NOW! It takes time to show up in search engines and if you wait until the season starts it will be too late. There is a reason that newspaper companies are struggling right, no one reads the paper anymore; they check the website. Your problem is it will be even worse this year in your area. Jobless rates are much higher now than they were last year.

5. tatmkr

tatmkr LawnSite Member

Ask everyone you know when the last time they looked in the phone book to find somebody, and you will have your answer. I was without internet for about 10 days and realized it's been about 4 years since I have. When I personally need a contractor I go straight for google and I won't even call someone if they don't have a site. I am also forgoing the yellow pages and postcards this year and focusing on google and yahoo search advertising.