Web Site

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by pines, Dec 10, 2006.

1. pines

pines LawnSite Member

Was wondering how many of you had a web site for your business....and for those that do, how much revenue do you think you generate from it?

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

I only got one so I dont have to tell people every thing we do all the time however we have goten a few jobs from it most of all our work is from referals
  3. Doug Z.

Doug Z. LawnSite Member

I have 2 seperate companies, i is I am a distributer for rubber mulch. The other one is a full service landscape contractor. The rubber mulch page I had done at the begining of the year. I get hits from all around the country-I know that I have made sales becuase of it. The landscape company web ssite went up and running as of last wednesday night, so well see.

Check them out www.dzlandscapesllc.com, and www.rubberificmulchofnew.com.
  4. therainmaker

therainmaker LawnSite Member

I direct customers to my web site by including reference material that will make them return.
    my main site : http://www.therainmaker.org
  5. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think we generate much revenue from our website. Most of our sales are through word of mouth or from previous customers. Almost all of the sales inquiries are from people who are price shopping in which case we don't get the work because we are not cheap.
  6. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

I have had one up for several years. "IMO" it doesn't pay.

We plan on dropping back from a 5 page searchable site to a one page info page.

Should save up to $500. on hosting etc.

I really believe "word of mouth" and referrals do more as does good looking equipment,(trucks)
  7. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

My feedback is already on my website about this.

The topic is in my drop-down menu of our home page.

But here's the link...

It explains a lot about purpose and results.

We already have the top website for trees and landscape design in Oregon, but I think you will fine the page interesting in light of purpose.

I just came across a website lately that had some nifty design - check this out...

Click, enter it, and click the lower icon to open up a bracelet looking menu. Find the symbol and link that shows his work.

I like his ingenuity. I would not do that for my home page, but want a page like his second page as an introduction to my advice topics.

Notice how his design causes people to stop, pause and meditate. It might be important to pay attention to who his clients are. One, is an actor, others are entertainment related businesses.

His site does would be fairly useless for search engine results.

But I think that may be totally irrelevant (read my page first - it will explain why I said that).

Some web designers have become so wrapped up in code and complex optimization gobbledy-gook, that they are ignoring the aspect that websites can be purely art, fun, and an extension of someone's personality.

And maybe only customers and people who get a business card or referral will see it.
  8. WebMan

WebMan LawnSite Member
    from D/FW TX

If you are paying $500 a year you obviously don't have a good host.

I can just say as a contractor in 1996 back when hosting was an atrocious $29 a month I figured I made enough just from the web site in 1996 to pay for it through 2012!

I am really shocked at this thread.

Of course I have seen some bad sites here and many more just mediocre. I have commented on some only to have people say I didn't know what I was talking about or "well I like this because" and other people (just contractors) post "great looking site man" when I knew that site would never generate a job except by chance.

Guys, you can't just throw up anything on the web and expect it to work.
    On the other hand a web site is the most cost-effective sales tool there is for several reasons (compared to ANY other advertising):
    1. For the cost of 2 boxes of cheap business cards you can have a site hosted, pay for your dot com name, be on a good quality service (no yahoo or godaddy or such) ...maybe $100-$125 a year at most for 5-10 average pages (and professional e-mails which are a HUGE thing like you@yourdomain.com..NEVER hotmail, AOL, Yahoo, Gmail etc....makes you look like a kid working on the side)
    2. NO SALES RESISTANCE! Ever been in a store and see the salesman headed your way and think "oh crud-here goes a sales pitch" or get a call from a telemarketer and can't hang up quick enough? On a web site the visitor is in total control so he isn't putting up any subconscious barriers, he can choose your company at 10:30 at night drinking a beer in his underwear if he wants...no sales resistance there!

The problem lies in one phrase "don't tell 'em...sell 'em!" I see all these landscape sites "telling" all the wonderful things they do...great now I am convinced I need somebody to do this wonderful thing, I think I'll get the phone book and see who is cheapest...

You didn't sell me on why I should "click here" or fill out this form or whatever to contact you right now (before I finish my beer :drinkup: ) because you have sold me on the fact I need YOU to do this for me because it will benefit me to have you do it!

It's like someone who responds to me pointing out something about their site by bluntly responding "well I really like that"! And that's the problem! You like it but you aren't going to ever hire you so that doesn't make a bit of difference! It only matters what customers think; not you, your wife, your friends, your brother in law...nope...only what your customers think, they are the ones sitting on the $$ you want. Businesses or residential, the customer is all that counts!

I can't advertise, but there are lots of people who know the difference, and if you can't do it get somebody that can---at a reasonable price! Not some $800 or more thing for 5 pages (sheesh, unless those pages do tricks and you can play a custom lawn mowing game on them :dizzy: )
    Search engine rankings as mentioned above should just come with a good site at no extra charge. They can really help but you can also get a lot of web business from your business cards or the signs on your truck.
  9. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

The price of $500 did sound a bit steep.

For hosting, that is. I could see an intricate design of 5 unique pages costing that much, but not hosting.

I have over 70 pages that I've put together, and my hosting is less than $150 per year.
  10. irishgoldcleanups

irishgoldcleanups LawnSite Member