1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Web Site?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by spriallen, May 2, 2007.

1. spriallen

spriallen LawnSite Member

I've been looking around the forums and it seems like alot of you have web sites. Does it really help your business and how do you start one?
  2. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow... reading your topic almost seemed like Dejavu' - near identical written vocabulary as a similar topic last fall or winter.

Its helped me, but I have a lot of time into it.

If well designed, I can't see how someone wouldn't get benefits. You might go to the website forums, and scan down glancing the past 50 to 100 titles. I'll bet you find a few conversations very similar to what you just asked.

Personally, I'm enjoying tweaking my site for enjoyment these days, almost as much as for display in search results. Its become a hobby.

The website forums here have really become a powerhouse of advice lately - has to be 20 times better than last year, or the year before.

All of a sudden, like within the past 4 months, a huge amount of knowledgeable input has been getting posted in there. It's like everybody who knows some good ideas about websites is coming out of the cracks.

Last year, I rarely saw more than 1 or 2 persons viewing. Lately, although there's an occasional 0 to 2 viewers, I frequently see up to 6 people viewing - never saw that last year.
  3. GravyTrain

GravyTrain LawnSite Senior Member

For me, just getting started, I haven't gotten a lot of response from the website. http://www.grassGuysLawnCare.com I average maybe 1-2 visitors a day, and sometimes they are visitors from this website viewing my profile, some are from clear across the country do a search for "Grass Care Guys" or something along those lines. I will say that it helped me close on one customer, but at this point, I can't say I fully see the benefits. The email address is very beneficial and looks more professional, but once again, I've used it once to correspond with a customer.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That has been my experience as well, a TON of traffic but most of it from here or from people doing irrelevant (to me) searches, such as acre lot pricing and stuff like that...

I also spot the occasional customer, hard to say for sure but just gleaning from the stats and appearances it would seem to be some of my current regulars... I do spot a few searches for 'mycity lawn care' but it is hard to say whether that result(ed) in a call, nobody thus far has volunteered the info and I don't usually ask.

But it is fun, and for a cost of $10 - $20 / month, it doesn't hurt.
    Mine costs a bit more because I lease a dedicated server, but even then it's not that bad, besides I have another site and so it pays for itself now, well, kinda... It's also where I'll eventually host online bill pay, which will be my version of paying by credit card, it has its benefits, I think.
  5. mdvaden

If you haven't read it yet, this page here is my preferred stategy these days...

But, for it to work, the site has to be clean looking. Even if but one single page.

Anyhow, like the others, I get a lot of traffic due to the profile here, my signature link or people hunting advice.

But aside from that, if I insert 2000 flyers in the newspaper, or if I hand out 500 flyers in a week, I can see my website stats skyrocket during those advertising surges.

Those are directly related to my direct advertising: what some people call organic.

But if you read the page, you'll note that I don't just list my website in tiny letters. It's placed very prominently - much more obvious than the phone. The entire flyer is designed around the website address to funnel attention to it.

Likewise with my business cards.

Then, you will see your website make a difference, if people use the internet where you live.

And when my flyers had a tiny web address, my stats page graph didn't spike nearly as much as when the website address grew in size and was placed as the focal point.
  6. GravyTrain

GravyTrain LawnSite Senior Member

@Vaden - I wish my approach had the same results as yours. My logo is based around my website. I never list my company name without the .com following it and it is dead center, bold font on my flyers and business cards yet, I still have see no such spikes during times of door to door advertisement or any other advertising campaign. Granted, I do live in a fairly small town (I'd guess around 50k) in Arkansas so that might have a lot to do with people not using the internet.

Really, I just wanted to reiterate what has already been said, it is a lot of fun, for not very expensive (I use GoDaddy and for about $75 a year, I host four websites and purchase all the domains through them). On top of that, even if you land one customer, you have done something and it has pretty much paid for itself.
  7. mdvaden

I think much of it is tailored to the "psyche" of each community. The biggest spike I got in web site visits from flyers was from the west suburbs of Portland, where many high tech and computer people live.

Medford..... here, I get a smaller spike.

Smaller, but still an increase. Here, I aim for residual. So I mention the advice pages on the flyers, prompting more people to store the flyer for their own personal use. The longer they keep it, the more chances there are for them to tell a friend who is not a do-it-yourselfer.

In fact, I live in a country valley on the west of Medford, and totally quit advertising in the Applegate Valley because I got next to ZERO response to the website - or, even phone calls.

And this small valley has internet.

So it stands to reason, that each website owner needs to do a couple of their own experiments to find out whether it will really produce results for them in their community.