web worm

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by way to grow, Jul 21, 2004.

1. way to grow

way to grow LawnSite Member

I have several lawns this year that have tons of little white moths. I know they are laying eggs all over the place that will later emerge as web worms. My question is: When should I treat these? Should I wait for the damage to begin? Or can I take care of it ahead of time? I don't want to treat them just so they can come back a week later from a nieghbors lawn.

Thank you for you help!

-Jeff

2. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Way to Grow,
    I would apply Talstar or Onyx 2-3 weeks after you see all of the adult activity, egg laying ect. Also liquid is better for this pest than granular. Make sure there is no rain in the forcast 24 hrs. after application and notify your clients that have irrigation that they should not water for a day after the application.

Pete D.

3. martn

martn LawnSite Member

Use merit at the recommended rate, now.

4. way to grow

way to grow LawnSite Member

Thank you Heritage. I will do just that. I have already applied Merit earlier this year. I think it is mostly for subsurface feeders.

Thanks again.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Martin

It is a little late in the season for Merit. Particularly here in Fla. If you can see active Web Worms, Merit is not the right choice any way. Heritage has given the correct answer as far as choice of insecticide. On St Augustine or other heavily thatched lawns I would recommend at least 3 to 5 gallon of finished product per thousands. Adding a good wetting agent or sticker would help the insecticide do a better job.

6. lawnguy26

lawnguy26 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Webworms are very easy to kill but impossible to prevent. They must be active to get control and don't be suprised if they re-infest a month or so later. Look for worms in the thatch or small green pellets(fecal matter) to see if they're active and treat the entire lawn with Talstar and a wetting agent.

7. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

If my customers have any crabgrass in the lawn I tell them to let the webworms eat it before treating. They always seem to target the crabgrass before the st augustine. I treat them with acephate (smelly stuff) in my yard.

8. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

Hmmm, i dont believe merit is labled for webworm

talstar

9. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

What if there was an organic solution to sod webworms? Something non-toxic you could mix into your liquid apps? When applied, it would actually make the grass taste bad to the larvae. ....

10. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

hmmm....like garlic???
    do webworms have taste buds?