Website Advice

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by scagdude, Jan 22, 2009.

1. scagdude

scagdude LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I have no idea where to post this but i need somehelp. I have my website pages all written out and how i want them to look and have also purchased my domain name on godaddy. i really dont want to spend $1000 to hire a website designer and i have already written everything out. i just have no clue how to get a website up. its just on paper and i need to know if anyone knows how or where to put it on a website. thanks in advance

2. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

godaddy should have some simple templates you can use to get started. They are pretty simple to use, although they probably won't look as polished as a professionally designed site. Should be a nice starter though.

3. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

4. scagdude

from Texas

ok i will look into both of those. thanks to both of you.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

6. ritchiem

ritchiem LawnSite Member

OpenSource FTW :cool2:

And if you are good at following direction and have the time to learn wordpress is a nice platform.

http://www.wordpress.org

7. scagdude

from Texas

Thanks for the replies. I just made my website on synthasite.com. i think it turned out pretty well. i will be takingphotos tomorrow to upload onto my site.

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, they can get very picky, but all for good in the end. The way I see it, give the necessary information to do the job right.

One of the first things I look at with any website is validation. This tells me several things.

1) Is the person using an application to design (99% of the time this is true)
    2) Does the person know what they are doing.
    3) Does the person care about the finished product.

If the code is a mess, which is usually is, will the site still "work"?
    Perhaps, perhaps not. Depends on what you consider "work".

Am I brutally honest at times ... absolutely.
    I call it like I see it, and people should not take offense to it.

There is alot more to web design than throwing some graphics and text on a page using a site builder.
    People need to understand this when they want to build their own site.

9. ritchiem

ritchiem LawnSite Member

that is the very first thing I look at as well. It shows a lot about someone calling themselves a 'web designer'