Website already paying off

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by Orrdc, May 30, 2012.

1. joel29m

joel29m LawnSite Senior Member

hey man can you pm me details on installing a website?

2. Orrdc

Orrdc LawnSite Senior Member

Sure thing...............

3. branchoutshrub

branchoutshrub LawnSite Member

Website looks nice. We had our website re-done and it has paid off big. Websites are a key tool in this business. www.branchoutshrub.com

4. GreyFlames

GreyFlames Inactive

I enjoyed checking out the website. It is clean and professional.

Two quick comments to make it perform better. First there are no Meta Keywords, these should really be added to each page. While they are less important that they used to be, Google still uses them. Second you should add some links to other local companies and to some national organizations that match your industry. Many people don't realize that outbound links like these can help your ranking.

Keep up the good work.

5. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

That is simply incorrect. I wrote a post on here 8 years ago that meta keywords are no longer used. Google hasn't used them in years, and even takes the time to repeatedly point out that they do not use them. Bing does use them, but for a different reason. It's one of their markers for identifying spammy, keyword-stuffed sites.

If you specifically want to tip your hands to your customers what exactly you're targeting, then by all means, take the time to do so. Obviously, a locally-targeted service site knows what their competition is targeting, but you get the gist. In fact, the meta keywords recently helped me easily point out the conflict of interest a landscape web site designer had with two of his competing clients as the keywords the developer used for each were the same or similar.

6. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Very nice. Sent you a pm...

7. Hansen's Lawn Care

Hansen's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Good for you dude!

8. GreyFlames

GreyFlames Inactive

I understand your argument about keywords.

First, I agree you should never stuff keywords in your content or anywhere.

Putting in meta keywords and meta descriptions takes less than a minute. So long as google does not disclose their very elaborate algorithm and crawling code... and amazon continues to use meta keywords and descriptions on their pages, I will take the time.

9. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry to the OP for veering this thread off course...

No offense to you, GreyFlames, but I wasn't tabling an argument against meta keywords. I was saying what Google has specifically stated, and restated (years apart) that they do not pay attention to keywords and why I myself do not use them, but love when my competitors do. It's actually really easy to test it yourself, across the various engines. Google's algorithm is elaborate, but it's not magic and it is pretty testable, especially for the major components.

Also, I'd like to clarify that I wasn't referring to anything re: content keyword stuffing in and of itself. I meant that the meta keywords are used by (at least) Bing as a marker to help identify spam or less-than-white-hat sites. The meta keywords are matched up against other on and off-site markers and content keywords and cross-referenced (like the rest of the algorithms do). They are not used to elevate site authority, however they can be used to negate it (this is an easy test as well). If they used it to elevate, we'd be back where we were years ago with wild, wild west of SEO. But they're using it to negate shady SEO absolutely makes sense.

As for still using the tag, it just makes it easier for some of us who monitor our competition to scrape the meta keywords, so I'm all for them still using it as it is one of the fastest and easiest methods to get a competitive landscape snapshot to glance at whenever I pull the data. Now, if I'm helping someone out, there is absolutely zero chance I would advise them to implement them, so I guess we just agree to disagree on the strategy behind that. I did notice that at GreyFlames.com, you don't have any meta keywords in your own header. There are some references to the template company who made your site, so I gather you haven't finished adding your info to it?

Tony

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  10. NorCal

NorCal LawnSite Member

Would you mind sending me the info as well? I am not sure if a pm will go but my email is...

joshwinders@gmail(dot)com