1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Website constructive criticism

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by JR's Lawn Service, Jan 28, 2013.

1. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

The HVAC guy in my BNI group is a retired police pilot, and Kal's bigger than I am (and I'm 6'4, 305). But he's incredibly personable, as are most of the cops I've worked with. Don't be so darn serious, we're playing with flowers for crying out loud!
  2. ToddH

ToddH LawnSite Silver Member

And hopefully making more money with more respect
  3. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Couldn't say for sure - but probably.
  4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Check your information as what you have on that site is not accurate.
  5. JR's Lawn Service

JR's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

not accurate? Not tracking, so what exactly is not accurate? Thanks
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. ToddH

ToddH LawnSite Silver Member

Do not get him started but if he says it is technically incorrect then it is. :waving:
  7. JR's Lawn Service

I am serious, want to know. I know criminal law and constitutional law, blah blah, but I am new to this career. I am not trying to be negative, if something is wrong I would like to know. I don't see much negative on here, except from certain people, but you will always have them, hell I use to deal with them every day. Anyway, it is what it is, if something is incorrect. Thanks, Jeff
  8. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

- The grey and blue fonts on the green background makes for a difficult read. If your target market includes people that are getting up there in age, you're really not making it easy on them. Just keep usability in mind when putting together various colors.

- Take a look at how to build a proper navigation system. The small fonts and 5 o'clock position aren't a reflexive place to look for a way to get around a web site. Since putting together a website is a new endeavor for you, I'd highly recommend finding a Wordpress template to get you headed in the right direction.

- You'll also want to read up on image formatting for web sites. How to constrain aspect ratios so that they look the best (2nd pic and 3rd pic) and when to use flat color .gif/.png format vs. jpeg, which is for photographs (the 1st pic, with the split graphic)

- Your "about me" paragraph's bit about "I'm ready to be my own boss" isn't really confidence-inspiring. If you're brand new to this business, I would minimize directly stating this.
  9. Greyst1

Greyst1 LawnSite Senior Member

To the op,

Listen to Tony & Greg, they know what they are talking about. I took one look at your site and immediately closed it down. It had zero marketing (imo), plus if there is any content that is not yours please please get rid of it and come up with your own. It's not worth the risk.
  10. JR's Lawn Service

I appreciate the comments, especially from Tony and Greg. I have thought about a couple of the things said, so obviously I need to make some changes. This site building thing is a little out of my element and that is why I asked for comments; I knew it needs to be better. Thanks for your time and comments seriously. I will work on the site in detail in the next few days.