1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Website Design for our Industry

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by kkls2006, Feb 9, 2007.

1. kkls2006

kkls2006 LawnSite Member

What is the best way to go about getting a website designed for someone (me) that has no experience with Web Design, Editing, Codes, Servers, Etc.?

I have read through a ton of post, searched the countless web design sites, and talked with a few web designers. I have received offers ranging from 3k to free. I have a fair Idea of what I want as far as content, but do not have an over abundance at this point. Remember that I DO NOT understand most terms such as " Robots, Code, Root directories, SEO, tags, meta tags,etc. Some of the things I'm looking for (I Assume)
    are:

1. The ability to own my site and take it with me where ever I chose in the future

2. Needs to be VERY user friendly so that I can edit/add content in the future when I learn to do so.

3. Be recognized by search engines such as Google, Yahoo, etc.

4. Have a professional appearance.

5. Not to costly.

I'm sure there are more things that I have not mentioned, Any help with pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

2. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

Yahoo Site Builder...

Very user friendly! I was in your shoes on January 1, 2007. Today I have a fully functional website recognized by all the major search engines. Yes, I got help along the way, but if you ask, you too will receive the help from others.

Good luck

www.wjsmallwood.com:cool2:

:usflag:

3. kkls2006

kkls2006 LawnSite Member

Thank for the info, but when I clicked on your link I get nothing???

4. OhioJeff

OhioJeff Inactive

the link from the above thread has an emicon currupting the link, just remove anything in the link after the '.com' part

------------

don't worry about any of that stuff off the bat. Your top concern with any site is writing really good copy that tells your story, explains who you are, what you do, and where you work. When you do those things right you're well on your way.

There are so many directions to go from simple websites, to website services like Yahoo, to some high end custom stuff. I think the direction you choose should fit with what you want to get out of website.

Some things on your wish list probably contradict each other so you'll have to make some decisions. I can't answer this specifically because I don't know much about the Yahoo Site Builder - anyone, can you take the site with you? is there an export feature? I know some services like this make it nearly impossible to do so but I don't know about yahoo.

Also getting 'recognized' in search engines and placing well are two differnet things. You don't need to pay more to do well in search engines, but you'll need to either work harder yourself or work with someone who knows what to do.

5. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Very nice site. How long did it take to get it up and running. Also, I bought my domain though "Buydomains" can I still use Yahoo to build my site. How did you get it started.

6. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

My site has been a work of progress as I keep finding new pictures etc. It takes me about 1/2 hour to create a new page once I have decided on a topic. That is the time to resize the pictures, make the thumbnails, put in key words, keywords for the page, text, etc.

Drop me an email if you have any problems along the way.

7. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I would move the :cool2: away from the url. It gives a broken link.

Your site was made with site builder. Not a bad system.

Notice the above. It is from your webpage in the code.

I would tweak my keywords a little. No sense in using your company name as a keyword. You want things like lawn care in there not your name.

8. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I checked out Yahoo Sitebuilder and it looked pretty good although I did not like the templates they have all that much. I would like something a little bit sharper and colorful. Did you use one of their templates or can you download your own?

9. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

When searching links when I was writing the flash site thread, I noticed that some of the flash templates also supplied an html version along with the flash. That leaves an easier option for some people. Some folks design some nice CSS. I haven't searched for those kind of templates yet. Might do that tonight.

Now, this page is just an example...

http://foamers.net/templatepreview.php

But I thought it was nifty that they have an option to modify the $63 template for $249 to match your name, links, etc., for up to 5 pages worth.

Even if you don't like a design like that, its just the tip of the iceberg.

10. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

I did not use a template in creating my website. Just like a landscape plan...started with a blank sheet.

www.wjsmallwood.com