Lawn Care Forum banner

Website design/hosting

7K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  ToddH 
#1 ·
I am looking for a hosting site that has a easy website builder, that will give me a professional looking website. if you used one please post a link to your website. Thanks

#3 ·
Agree with headz. By and large, the DIY builders give you exactly what you pay for, but Squarespace is the best in class. Hit the web subforum here, stroll through the archives, and you'll see this gets covered quite a bit.

#10 ·
#11 ·
I think my first web page was one out of the box and I plastered it with banners. Then I bought Front Page. Somewhere around 2003, I started simple hand coded sites with CSS and HTML.... Then I forgot about it. Around 2005.

The last two years I started playing with various CMS programs.

I still have to tinker a bit but hope that once I am done, I am done for a while and all I have to do is add content about once per month. My existing site has been up for about 2 weeks. Per google webmaster tools, I have 19 of 23 pages indexed. Up 8 pages from 3 days ago.

I am now also seeing some 5 month old reviews on my google local page that were hidden previously. A lady called Friday and asked for an estimate and said she found the new site! So in about two weeks I have made some progress. It is worth the time and effort to do these correctly.

Study the code of any web form page you buy and or visit. Set up a sand box and play with the site and Learn how they work. So while I say my new site is working in just two weeks, it took me well over 300 hours or more of hard work and study over two years to get the site functional the way I want it. Now I am about ready to hire a professional copyright to edit my site and set up some type of video for me.

Many Thanks to Tony, Rodger and Headz and others for being so helpful directly and indirectly.

#12 ·
I did mine on Ipage.com. It was pretty straight forward to build and it is cheap. But it is a simple web platform that doesn't give you much to work with but it still did what i need for now.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
Not too bad of a site, I would work on those bed edges though they need to be a lot crisper and cleaner looking, makes a huge difference. Good job though.

#15 ·
Not too bad of a site, I would work on those bed edges though they need to be a lot crisper and cleaner looking, makes a huge difference. Good job though.
Yeah I've heard that before. Unfortunately that was one of the only mulch jobs we did last year and the lady was pretty cheap but I needed the work at the time and we were just trying to get in and out quick to make a few bucks. It was one of those situations where it was part of a spring clean up but kind of a last minute addition to law mulch down.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

#17 ·
Skywax.com is pretty cool. They build your site for $100 but you have to host it with them after that which costs $20/mo. The new site comes with a decent CMS so you can easily change stuff as you see fit. I setup my own "contact us" form by embedding a Google form that I created. It is nice because all the data goes straight into a spreadsheet and you get pinged by email anytime someone requests info. The Google form was a breeze to set up - and FREE.

#23 ·
It's not quite as flexible as it seems there are only certain places you can put certain things, and you don't have the option to change or increase fonts and font sizes, you have to use what they provide which isn't much in my opinion. It took us about four days to get what we have now it's still a work in progress, overall I like it, it's way better than the one we had with vista print.

#24 ·
I've finaly got mine up and going, I know the pics aren't all mine some are but most aren't but when everything greens up they all will be mine.

www.cpllandscaping.com
Get you phone number up higher and bigger so people on a mobile phone do not have to hunt for it. Ideally this would be up where you have your company name.

Not sure if I like the transparent body or not. It is kind of distracting to me.

Not sure why - cdn.initial-website.com/s/img/cc/icons/blank.gif this on your site or why it would be your OG Image. I smell a rat.

Not sure I agree with the gray links on that background.

#25 ·
Get you phone number up higher and bigger so people on a mobile phone do not have to hunt for it. Ideally this would be up where you have your company name.

Not sure if I like the transparent body or not. It is kind of distracting to me.

Not sure why - cdn.initial-website.com/s/img/cc/icons/blank.gif this on your site or why it would be your OG Image. I smell a rat.

Not sure I agree with the gray links on that background.
Thanks for the feedback, it's greatly appreciated, Which image are you referring to? I'm not seeing what your referring to. What color links would you suggest?

#26 ·
Thanks for the feedback, it's greatly appreciated, Which image are you referring to? I'm not seeing what your referring to. What color links would you suggest?
You can look up a color scheme

http://www.colorblender.com/

move the G bar until the green looks close to yours and pick a darker color.

The image seems to be hidden hence the rate. Plus it links to an external site and not yours.

The OG image should be 200 by 200 and hosted on your site. Perhaps your logo or an image associated with the content. It can differ on each page.

OG is open graph and it works with facebook when people like your page and stuff. It is one form of microdata to tell various engines about your page. Google ignores OG and Facebook ignore all others.

I just ran your site through the two tools.
http://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/og/object?q=http://www.cpllandscaping.com/

Look under raw data and you will see this image listed. This will not help you and invisible images often are malicious.

If I directly access the image it should show me what it is, even then I see nothing. Hence the reason I did not post the full URL to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.