Website design programs

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by Keegan, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

Has anyone used Microsoft's Frontpage to help design a site. It was given to me but I've never used it.
    Any other programs I should look at?

Thanks for the help!
  2. pnplawncare

pnplawncare LawnSite Member

To be honest it sucks. If you can get hold of Dreamweaver wich is good for webiste design and editing. ( Thats just my thought on Front Page )
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I agree, FrontPage stinks big time. Not worth the money at all
  4. LawnScenes

LawnScenes LawnSite Member

I use frontpage and agree that it does suck a little. to an extent anyway. if you have a medium knowledge of html code you can work around the flaws in frontpage. I think it's good if you're looking for something simple and quick. the site below is the website I'm building for my company. it's only the index page and none of the links work... but I am using frontpage to build it because it's simple and takes less time.

Dreamweaver is a very nice program and a lot more intensive than frontpage. I like it alot. It's got a hefty price tag if your paying for it though and building and editing just one site with it.

I started playing around with html when I was a teen. My first program was HotDog Pro... You have to be pretty familiar with html though to use it.
  5. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

6. pnplawncare

pnplawncare LawnSite Member

Take this site and finsh it. remove the ( finaldraft ) folder and place your site in your main webserving folder.
  7. LawnScenes

LawnScenes LawnSite Member

When it's done and I'm ready to have it live... It's going to get it's own hosting and domain name. It's just there at that address to show for opinions.
  8. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

So... I'm curious.

I have DreamWeaver because that's what our son got me lined up with.

It enabled me to drop my webmaster and do my own edits. Nothing wrong with the webmaster, I just could not afford to pay for all the little changes I do. And it's fun anyway.

Back to my curiousity. I never used Frontpage. Can somebody share what the little Bugaboos are with that?

Suppose one of you with frontpage got one of my page files done on dreamweaver - wouldn't it just open up in frontpage?

Does frontpage use a different style of code?
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Front Page is very hard to learn in the first place. Second, to me I feel that it really takes too long to try to setup a nice website with it. Second of all, it is just too basic, not enough flash.
  10. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

How do these compare to Coffeecup software which is what I use? I have found it to be very useful and I do all my own edits and updates with only very little self-taught knowledge. You can work in either html mode or visual mode which lets you edit the sight as it looks on the web.