Website feedback please

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by LawnsharkMB, Feb 19, 2014.

1. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

Home Page: (think of this as an H1)

- I'd figure out a way to make your header area more engaging. On a 1366x768 resolution display, we don't get to the menu until the lower half of the rendered page.

- Title Tag: (think of this as an H2) you have enough room to work your brand in there. That would be more useful than just keyword phrases.

- Nav Bar: (think of this as an H2) Move Blog down the line, and your services up. You don't want to confuse people as to the intent of your site and, I would guess, a blog is not your primary reason for existing.

Nav Bar Interaction: (think of this as an H3)And, on click, I now see that your very first menu option completely takes me away from your site. If you're going to have any off-site content, have it open a new window/tab, don't take the visitor away, especially with the first option presented to us.

- Blog: if you're going to maintain a blog, you're better off having it on your own domain.

- Even though it's your brand, I wouldn't be afraid to have some use of "Coastal LawnCare" as "Coastal Lawn Care". As Google indexes you, you might see how this may, or may not, make a difference.

- The 4 images have no context. Instead of being design elements, they open in a lightbox. The pictures have no context. "Residential Lawn Care 4" doesn't mean much, at least from a locally-useful standpoint. They could also use a bit of color/light correction. Their quality is fine, but visually are inconsistent.

- If you're going to have an array of home page content (education, experience, service), those would be perfect places to break up content using images, instead of just having a random array of photos appearing above that section.

- "Education", as a home page section, makes me think resume first, trying to educate me, the visiting, potential lead, to your qualifications as secondary. I would probably roll Education, Experience, and Service in to one About Us section, either on that page, or it's own.

- The Spring Special could use a better callout than what it looks like, which is any other section of your home page. If you do a quick page scroll, which might be all you can expect from a visitor, does it catch your eye?

- Choosing to highlight the equipment is one thing, but on the home page, it takes up one, full screen.

- The footer is reeeally thin. Look at any of the high-ranking sites and what do you see?

- Are you planning on using your domain's email? Yahoo drops you a notch or two in the perceived professionalism ranks.

- I see no real location info. You have an area code, but nothing else that ties you to your service area. Worst case, put your Name/Address/Phone (the NAP) with your city and zip. If you go this route, be consistent on any off-site work you do.

Sub-Page issues are similar to the home page's. You could definitely use some bolding/font size/color/style changes to better define sections and content importance. Instead of the 4 image bar on each page, break up those wide swaths of text and white space with the images. I think the engagement-level would jump a notch or two.

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Spelling mistake " debri free at all times..."
    "specific program for your lawn..."
    "Will word hard to..."
    "Will work closely with you..."
    Ok, but a bit vague to my way of thinking. How are you different from ordinary companies?
    Try to mention your three most important features that benefit the customer--and that no one else can deliver.
    Soil test is the only one I heard. It needs more emphasis and an explanation of what a "soil test" is for; most people do not know why it is important. Can you claim that most companies in our town don't bother?

Guarantee? No mention.
    Top-quality fertilizer? No mention. Top-quality crabgrass control--no mention. Is your weed control same as everybody else --or is it better?
    Top-quality workers? If you use no min wage workers, no temporary workers, and no foreign workers--say so.
    Sharpen blades--no mention. Top-quality, almost new equipment--no mention.

I agree--do not show the spreader--people are social--better to show an attractive man in a clean uniform talking to an attractive woman customer. Cute dog is helpful--at least Tru Gren's advertising agency thinks so.

You need a call for immediate action: "Spring Special" or more.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014