1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Website Marketing

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by detroitjoker, Jul 30, 2008.

1. detroitjoker

detroitjoker LawnSite Member

Hello all,
    Was just curious how much work your websites bring in? Do you market it yourself or is it subcontracted? Thanks all.

2. CrimsonLawnCare

CrimsonLawnCare LawnSite Member

I built my own website, i actually get more calls then i thought from the site, most people see our trucks or signs in the neighborhood and go back home and type Crimson Lawn Care in google or yahoo, and my site will be on the list.
  3. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Good Question> I am wondering the same thing. I just committed to a company to build a interactive website and it is not a drop in the bucket. Is it worth it to drop another couple k into SEO? Is it worth it to hire a company to take care of the adword stuff? All said and done this whole process could approach 5k and in the current economy that is a ton of money. I keep on asking myself two questions. Can I afford to do it in hopes of seeing a return? Can I afford not to do it? Not sure, would appreciate some input from companies that went ALL IN and let us know if it was worth it or if you would have put the $$ in other forms of advertising.
  4. CrimsonLawnCare

CrimsonLawnCare LawnSite Member

Personnaly,I feel that if you took good work for a fair price, you wont need to advertise you will grow strong and steady, so i would say to just save the money. Not enough people look on the web for landscapers.
  5. Flow Control

So are you saying go with doing the website the way I want, but just don't opt for the SEO?
  6. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Websites done properly will definitely help any business, it allows you endless possibilities to gain and earn business. How can you afford not to have a website? Websites is another spoke in the wheel, its not a cure all, but its a valuable asset to your customer and your business.
  7. Flow Control

Thanks for the info, pretty much how I looked at it as well.
  8. detroitjoker

detroitjoker LawnSite Member

Great info all. I appreciate the input. Do you guys market your site yourself or do you let AT&T handle all that?
  9. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

You can shop around and get a very nice site made for less than $1k. I paid about $800 for my site and he's been taking care of it for a year now and I haven't gotten another bill. Don't just look locally either, my guy is in Kentucky and I'm in Texas.

Don't pay for those website promotion gimmicks that say they'll get you on all of the search engines either. Your site builder should do that for you and then the hits that you get will come from your advertising, signage and other means. You don't need hits from other states who are doing broad searches anyway. You'll get hits from those who are looking for information about you/your company.

Just my .02
  10. B & B Yardscape

B & B Yardscape LawnSite Member

It blows my mind how much some of you are paying for your web site to be built. On rainy days I joke with my guys that it is a good day to be a web page builder.

I built my own. I have countless hours in it. I enjoy doing it. I get that some people don't have the time or the know how to do it.

I think every business should have a web site, but it needs to be profitable. What does that mean for landscapers? I think it needs to draw in customers. I think that it needs to help the customer choose you instead of the other guy.

I think your web page address needs to be on all the trucks, business cards, & yellow pages ad. I use it on the front of my trucks instead of just putting the business name up there.

The site should tell your clients and potential clients what you do with examples of your work. If you are not selling stuff over the internet, there is no need to be #1 on Google.

Can a bad site hurt you? Yes. If it doesn't tell the customer what they want to know and they don't contact you further, then it will hurt. If it shows pictures of golf courses and 30 foot high retaining walls that you didn't do, it can give the impression that you are bigger and better than you are. When you meet the client, they might not choose you because you didn't meet their expectations.

Can a great site bring in more business? Yes. If it is honest and projects the right impression.

I spend $4.95 a month to host my site. I spend $265 a month for a business card sized ad in the ATT yellow pages. The yellow pages add tells people to visit my web page. More and more people are finding me on YellowPages.com & through other web based searches or advertising. But I still have to have the hard copy yellow pages ad. (atleast for one more year)