website programs

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by mcmillanlawncare, Aug 28, 2006.

1. mcmillanlawncare

mcmillanlawncare LawnSite Member

i been messing around with my site now i been using front page2004 now i just recently purchased dreamweaver mx 2004 and i kinda don't like it is there any other programs that are user friendly like frontpage 2004 out there please leave any other names of website programs

2. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I use dreamweaver - it's okay for me. I don't do backflips over it, but it's quite handy.

What don't you like about it?

I suppose it's about as user friendly as Microsoft Word is.

3. WebMan

WebMan LawnSite Member
    from D/FW TX

FrontPage & Dreamweaver are the top 2. Both have their quirks and Dreamweaver has a higher "learning curve" for some people but both can be made to do whatever you want.
    Using FrontPage isn't as easy as they make it seem. The main dissatisfaction I have noticed with FrontPage "newbies" is they expect it to all work like the box (and sometimes even the help files) say... and it's just not that simple unless you are doing a very basic site. If you just use the "wizards" & such you won't have much. But if you learn how to manipulate the code, use 3rd party plug-ins & scripts, customize "themes" etc. it can do a whole lot more. Many sites you would never suspect are made in FrontPage by someone who uses it a lot and has a "bag of tricks" they know how to use.

Dreamweaver works on a different premise entirely so Dreamweaver users don't usually like FrontPage and vice versa.
    Probably the biggest advantage to Dreamweaver is for the more advanced designer it has a lot of more powerful features and mainly it integrates with all the other Adobe products in "real time" like Fireworks, Flash, Photoshop, Contribute etc. so for example if you have Photoshop and have a picture in your Dreamweaver site and decide to edit it, you can just open it and use all the features of Photoshop to edit it and save it, all while still in Dreamweaver.
    With FrontPage you would have to go to the photo program you use, make your changes, then save it back to your FrontPage files.
    That's not a big deal for the "average" user (a few extra minutes) but for a web professional who invests two or three thousand in all the Adobe software it can save time (5 minutes adds up to an hour if you do it 12 times a day) and can make them far more productive.

PS: Another thing is the current FrontPage (I am not sure but I think 2003, I don't think there is a 2004) is the last version of it's kind. The "next generation" from Microsoft will break web products into 3 products tailored to specific types of users. There will still be a basic web site product like FP, but also a product designed mainly for Intranet creation and one mainly for SharePoint features (of course Microsoft changes their mind a lot so that may change before they are released.)

4. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Webman...

If you use Dreamweaver, do ever find occassional shut-downs due to a problem "encountered"?

I get about 1 problem window for every 30 times I open and use the program. So I tend to save my progress about every 20 minutes or so.

Is that common, or just me?

5. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, I'm not a designer, but I've tickered a bit and that doesn't sound normal. Is your software "pirated" or anything?

6. WebMan

WebMan LawnSite Member
    from D/FW TX

If you have a Windows machine look at the details of the error message. If you have a "box" version with the disk it might be solved by uninstalling and reinstalling the program. The Windows Registry can become corrupted (who knows when-why-how) and it may have a glitch in the install somewhere that crops up at random. (Especially if you did not have all other programs especially anti-virus or anti-spyware turned off when you installed it.) Even stuff like some Windows patch or update may have messed with a Registry entry Dreamweaver needs.

I finally broke down and bought JV16 power tools (cleans registry errors among other things) and it's amazing how much junk gets left floating around in the registry that can all cause weird problems.

Don't worry about uninstalling & reinstalling unless your web site files are in the same folder as the program (if so just make a new folder and copy them over) the uninstall-reinstall won't mess with your site data files. (If you have downloaded any extra "goodies" for Dreamweaver you would have to re-do them)

You also might try defragmenting your disk if it's been more than a month or two since you did that and deleting all the temp files in your browser cache etc. (they can sometimes cause web programs to get "confused")

Just some ideas as long as it's a full legal copy of Dreamweaver (not a pirate version or a trial version somebody told you how to "trick" into keeping working...in that case it could be anything)

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I like the feel of direct coding, I use a Windows (but Unix-safe) code text editor with syntaxed highlighting,
    for HTML, CSS, PHP, ASP, Perl, C/C++, Java, JavaScript and VBScript.
    It can be extended for other programming languages should you still feel the need.
    Edit +

[​IMG]