Website questions? (please don't move)

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Soupy, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I know there is a website forum, But It doesn't get much activity.

My questions are for all of you that have had websites made for you. What kind of support did you get after the deal was done? My main concern is the ability to edit pages and change photo's. I have dreamweaver mx 6.0 but don't have a clue how to use it. I really don't have a clue how anything works, concerning a website. I already have a domain and host. So all I need info on is, how much it will cost and who knows of a designer that gives you the tools/know how to edit things after the deal.

Ken

2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry I can't help, I made my own and know how to edit it. Not real familiar with wysiwyg editors to offer any advice.

3. bizkit04

bizkit04 LawnSite Member

I wouldnt worry about the whole updating thing- you can get people to update your stuff dirt cheap ... try using elance.com Your best best is to save yourself the hassle of learning how to update it yourself...

4. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks guys, I found some one to build me a kick *** site for $500. I found him at a place just like elance.com.

Soupy

5. TREEGODFATHER

TREEGODFATHER LawnSite Member

FWIW, I maintain my own site. I designed it. It needs tweaking, but the domain is $20 a year, and $8.95/mo for the server access, with 25mb of webspace and 5 emails.

I have Dreamweaver, but couldn't figure it out, so I used MS_Word to edit and create.

Some like it, some hate it.

6. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't have a clue either, I used Dreamweaver MX also, along with photoshop and Illustrator. I bought good books on using the software and took a day of two to play around and read. The reason I did not pay is exactly the reason you are speaking of, editing and updating. I can change my website in 20 seconds right from my house. Its actually pretty simple and I recommend you look into it also. It doesn't take hours upon hours to learn. I also have free web hosting from irepublics.com they only attach ads to your email going out from their webmail, I use my own mail account instead, free hosing no ads. Check mine out. http://www.kandslandscape.com
    You want Illustrator to create graphics (I designed my own logo)
    and you want Photoshop to resize and edit photos for your website, You don't just add any jpg or gif you want to save it for web in photoshop first, it makes it smaller and quicker to load.

7. TREEGODFATHER

I use PhotoImpact-XL for more refined image tinkering, IrfanView for the routine stuff (re-sixe, etc).

Add my digital camera to the mix, I can go out and do a job, and come home and have it added to my site within 15 minutes, if I want.

Nice site... smooth, easy to navigate, and not too "busy". Your thoughts on mine?

(Don't worry, I want honesty!)

8. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Very informative, there is loads of information in your site, I like it.

Downside, seems a little unstructured. Every page is layed out different, different fonts and colors. I don't really know if people like that, I personally don't. I think with a little tuning and more organized layout it could be one of the top 20 of the net.

9. TREEGODFATHER

Thank you for your input.

It seems... "busy".... to me sometimes.

It know it's definitely not dial-up friendly, especially the galleries.

It does need better structure, i just haven't figured out how I want to approach that yet.

Any and all input is always helpful.

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I go through Verisign (Network Solutions) and I can edit, post, do whatever I want to the web site 24-7. It might a little pricey, $24.90 per month, but the features that they offer is great