Website search rankings - Re-Posting

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by tonygreek, Feb 21, 2005.

1. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

sorry, guys. not sure what the problem is, but my response to the other "Website search rankings" keeps choking. oddly, the page keeps failing to load at the same point, including the edit/reply features. the next post will be a retry... :realmad:

2. tonygreek

man this is irritating... server crapped out after i just wrote many paragraphs in response. AGGHHH!!!! i usually copy the text in case of this problem, but didn't get it all. this is what i was able to recover:

nope. it's actually going to prove to be counter-productive to your goal. they view submissions such as that as spam and it's a quick way to a good ol' fashioned blacklisting.

i see what you mean. i've put in various versions of your name, including "easy acres lawn care columbus" and that's not coming up through 3 pages of yahoo listings (i stopped paging through at 3). when i change columbus to pickerington, i receive only 3 pages of results, but your site is not amongst them. google is also similar in results.

you have a load of relevant content, which is what the engines want to see, but you should start by refining it a bit. even though meta tags aren't used much/any, they can't hurt. if anything, they are an exercise to get you thinking of what you want to have in your content. on your main page, work your coverage city/suburb names into the content. also, work your services into the content. as i read it, you come close, but you dance around the words that should be there. get the actionable services on there, such as "mowing" or whatever. you talk about what the customer will ultimately arrive at, "creating healthy, green, weed free lawns that provide not only an enjoyable outdoor space", but you need to include the terms that will facilitate that arrival. ie, applications, mowing, etc is what the customers will type into the search engine, such as "pickerington mowing".

last but not least, re-work those page titles. engines stopped relying on meta tags and shifted much of the emphasis to the TITLE tags.
    (this is where i lost the content in the preview of the posting, so i'll be brief as i'm really frustrated and have drawn a blank on the previous flow of what i typed. sorry).
    your titles need to have the keywords you want, but make them relevant to the content of each respective page. include service areas with each, but be brief, and include the actionable terms that people would search for.

also, don't pay attention to any of the billion "search engine submission" companies out there. the real search optimization consultants are cost prohibitive with regard to what you want to accomplish. the guys that say they'll "submit you to thousands of search engines!!!" are snake oil salesmen. besides, name more than 5 engines... :) focus on the known, reputable engines and you'll be fine.

i'd give it a shot. you are in a huge metro area, so it will be harder to rise to the top through conventional search optimization, so you'd be best serve to really focus any paid search words on your very specific area of service. ie, columbus mowing might drain your account instantly, whereas pickerington might not. unless you are a pro at optimizing, adwords are a great way to go. i can't recall the number off the top of my head, but a study was recently done that an obscenely high number of people don't realize that the featured links are actually ads. good for you, not so good for joe consumer.

to underscore this:
    no no no no. :nono: :D

questions or clarifications?

ahhh... just figured it out. i referenced the TITLE tag, using the angle brackets, and it was causing the post to choke on that code tag.

tony

3. tonygreek

my apologies to the original poster. jodi had to remove the thread because it got completely hosed by one little html tag. ooops. thanks jodi.

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Wanna increase your website exposure? Put your url in the signature here. Every time you post, it creates a link to your site. I did that, my site went from not even being recognized on search engines when I searched under my name to being #1. Cross linking is a big factor in search engine popularity. Those submission companies are a waste of $$.

5. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah but what comes up in the search results? Is it links to the posts I made, or links to my site. When I input my name in "", I sometimes get a search result of one of my posts on here where I mentioned my company name when I was first working on the website ( that's why I say "my company name" now), I don't want a bunch of that. If however it will not show those and bring up my homepage instead that would be good.
    Tony I made some changes to my Title and included some keywords in it but no good results yet. What am I doing wrong? I know this is a new game and I don't know all the rules yet but some of these search results are really wazoo out there and have no relevance to what I put in (my exact company name which is on my homepage title), while mine doesn't even show up at all.
    Do I have to resubmit when I make these changes or do the crawlers auto detect them?
    Right now the google adwords is all that's working and I have an e-mail in to them because even though I followed there recommendations I don't show up all the time. It's like they ration you out over a time period. I told them I want to come up every time until my budget limit is reached.

6. tonygreek

one problem with your current titles is that they are too long-winded. engines look at anywhere from 40-80 or so of the first characters. the exact number varies by engine, but that's an easy range that's oft quoted.

the crawlers should autodetect you, but a responsible registration with them is also a good idea. i've not registered my latest site in order to see how it goes in the current search climate. just through content, depending upon serviceline and local competition, i come up from 1-8 on yahoo and google (or lower). this depends on any given day of the week compared to whatever else is out there.

one correction i see that's a bit glaring is the "central ohio" in your titles. put yourself in your customer's shoes and think if you would actually search for "central ohio mowing" or "XX suburb mowing". you need to straddle the fine line of making every word count.

7. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

Tony, gotcha, will pare down the title. The site has actually been properly submitted, just didn't know if I needed to resubmit after every change. You're obviously doing something right and me something wrong if you always come 1-8. I just want to get on the first page and I'll be happy. I know I don't usually look past page 2 or 3 and figure most people won't either. I always wonder what the other 200,000 results are on a search, old discarded pages and sites that don't receive hits anymore, or a bunch of schlupps like me who can't figure it out?