1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

website software

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by Vikings, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I think I can say, after watch Total Training videos and struggling to make a decent page, that GoLive Sucks.

Dreamweaver on the other hand is amazing and fairly simple. It actually allows you to make your page in Illustrator or Photoshop then just trace over it by dragging boxes..copy/paste and you got a page.

If anyone wants to buy expensive software don't waste your money on Golive (that's the point of this thread).
  2. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

The problem with what you are saying is you are probably putting these copy/paste boxes onto your site as images as opposed to text. This will hurt you when it comes time for spiders to crawl your site.
  3. jcantrell

jcantrell LawnSite Member

Golive is a good program if you know how to use it. I would say dreamweaver is a tad easier to learn.
  4. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

You copy paste from word and use the special paste that keeps all the formating.
  5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Dreamweaver uses heavy CSS formatting to do that. Everything goes into absolutely positioned DIV's.

It works well, but it doesn't always give a page that looks good in all resolutions or is 100% browser compatible.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I like straight code, never a question if what I see is all straight behind the scenes.
    With wysiwyg, it's a bit like a word-processor, looks good on paper but with web sites there is a browser involved that must process code, and a drawback to wysiwyg programs is they build what they are told, be it code efficient or not, this affects load-times among other things.

It took time to learn code to be sure, but in the end it's as fast as Wysiwyg in the development stage alone, debugging still takes as long but first-hand knowledge of said code helps speed that along, thou fast and easy it never is lol. It eventually boils down to error-free typing, mistakes will happen but paying careful attention turns out some pretty decent pages right off the start, still optimizing is required, but I find the distance shorter.

A further benefit is via the use of ftp, one becomes less dependent on the server's admin system, be it cpanel or ensim or plesk or what have you, with ftp and code it doesn't matter as much whether the file manager rules or not, for example, thus leaving you a wider selection of options should the time ever come to find a new host, as another example.
  7. apblue

apblue LawnSite Member

Dreamweaver is number 1 hands down. For the coders you can code away, for those who are a little less inclined they can use the design view to create a simple easy site, and for those like me that can code somewhat haha you can use both views and add a custom touch to any site
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

True, true, I know what you mean.