1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Website, worth the $ or not?

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by TGK, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

I designed my own site. Got some advice on optimizing the site and received numerous jobs from it. Well over $100K in the first year alone!

A well designed website without search engine optimization is a waste of money.

Remember, your site should load quickly. You have 8 seconds to keep your prospects attention.

My site has been up since 1/5/07 and I have had over 10,000 hits!

Now you tell me...should you have a website???
  2. rodneyamolt

rodneyamolt LawnSite Member

also check out www.getafreelancer.com you can post what you need done and people will bid on it.. I wouldnt' take the cheapest bid but look around and most will post thier portfolios..
  3. PatiosInstalled

PatiosInstalled LawnSite Member

i built my website with register.com i got an email and website that i designed for under $200. i just started it a few months ago and im still working on it i also started adwords through google. i woudnt pay 2500 for a site.
  4. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

I look t is as my website didn't cost me a penny. Instead it is an investment.

However - had I spent $200 -- that probably would have cost me $200. Since I likely would get very little in return.

I paid a pro to do my site. When a pro does your site you get much more than just a website --- you get design services - seo services - advertisising services and technical advice all put together.

Its the same reason I use an design firm for my print material -- it pays for itself -- ever single time!

Want to see some great websites look at hte people who did mine - imdesigngroup.com
  5. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

Jeff -

Not looking to pick a fight...just trying to help. Maybe your designer isn't all he/she is cracked up to be???

You have only 4 keywords; no robots tag; no description tag; your page isn't ranked in the first four pages of landscaping kansas city, lawn care kansas city, nor landscaping overland park!

Do some follow up with your designer, your site is incomplete!
  6. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

Thanks Bill for looking at my site. I agree Bill that my designer did not do much in regards to providing an extrememly search optimized site and I am working on that bit by bit.

I have never felt robots tag is necessary because by default it is follow all and since there in part of my site I want to keep from being indexed it is irrelevant.

The description tag would be a good thing -- but since the first words on my site are what I would use in a desription -- The search engine's snippets have always been good. Description tag is no longer a factor in indexing by any of the major search engines.

I recently removed a bunch of keywords to experiment with having fewer focused keywords on my site. I was reading ona n SEO site where this can be a good idea for young sites.

I am working on getting more inbound links to my site and working on optimizing the content it. It has only been live for 5 weeks -- so stull young in the Internets eyes. Would gladly take any other Search Engine Optimization tips you have.
  7. PatiosInstalled

PatiosInstalled LawnSite Member

same as bill said im not trying to pick on you but you need a new picture on the front page. your hair is a mess and your shirt is very wrinkled. have he best designers mean nothing when the potential customer thinks your mess
  8. Hamons

I agree -- I am not a huge fan of the front picture either. One of the things I am working on changing!
  9. Hamons

10. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

I don't want to be over critical of the picture on the front but do it again without your arms crossed! It is bad body language, gives the impression that you are unapproachable...

I know it sounds silly but this is your first impression to many unknown clients, make it a great first impression