Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by Billz, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

OK, I have decided to break down and get a website, what are the steps I need to take to get this rolling? Where do I register a name and everything?
  2. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

You need to get a domain name and a webhost. Alot of places can do both. I went with for a domain name which i DO NOT RECOMMEND. For webhosting i have which i have been pleased with thus far. Then you need to design your website and upload it to the server. I did my own website using dreamweaver, and if your not too computer illiterate you could go this route if you purchase a couple good books on the program.
  3. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

You could design the website first, but it does make sense to get the domain name and a host as the intial step before too much layout / design.

That way, you can transfer your initial design file to the server, then check you page appearance with both Internet Explorer and, say, Firefox.

Use at least two main browsers. Sometimes things may shift around a bit.

I have yet to figure out all the DreamWeaver will do, but if you need, there are some websites we can share that give the codes to do a few odds and ends. You can insert them in the "code view" of DreamWeaver or whatever you end up using.

Templates are nice too.

You will appreciate getting the site, now or in the long run.

Not having a website these days -even if not a real need - is near comparable to not having a phone number in the 1960s.
  4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

My wife and I have been using for our websites since 2000. They are a great hosting company that works well for a novice or expert. I suggest you get your domain name thru the hosting company, it makes it much more simple that way. At Bizland you can use their software to build your own, or upload what you may have already. I have a 'value' membership and pay annually which breaks down to $7.16 per month. Of course you get email, automatic search engine submissions and the works. Except for upgrades and notified maintenance I can't recall a time that the servers went down.
  5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

You might look into . I hear if you are a new customer sign up, you can get in a drawing to have the GoDaddy commercial girl come pay you a visit :) :weightlifter:
  6. RayGauthier

RayGauthier LawnSite Member

7. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are looking for a good web designer PM me and I will give you the info.

8. poolboy

poolboy LawnSite Silver Member
    from earth

cgland, i sent u an pm
  9. sethsodsquad

sethsodsquad LawnSite Member

I use Very cheap, has lots of scripting capabilities, and lots of space/bandwidth.

Their specs give 5GB space, 100GB bandwidth, but after being with them for a year, I now have "unlimited space and bandwidth" for no extra cost.