1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by KrayzKajun, Jan 3, 2007.

1. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

You guys with websites, how did you go along of creating it? I really want to get one up before the next season starts
  2. kkls2006

kkls2006 LawnSite Member

Wow I was just Going to start a thread " Web site development info please"
  3. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I build my own web sites as I have a Interactive Media Business, = Video Production, DVD Authoring etc.

4. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Websites can be real pricey. As much as I believe in American work, outsourcing the development with save you thousands. Here's a good freelance site that outsources. We like Indian designers personally because of their skills and cost, but there are designers from all over the world here:http://www.getafreelancer.com
  5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

There is an area specific to web site on this forum ....lots of good info there

Fore me I did mine the good old fashion way ... I did it my self ...it's not flasy ....kinda plain ....but serves my function .....provide info to my customers ....provide photo samples to new ones ....n some things I just have fun with

You can get a very basic site up n running getting a copy of Front Page ....get your domain hosted n away you go
  6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I did mine myself also. I have a computer background though. I run mine off a database driven CMS (content management system). That roughly translates to "it takes a little more time to setup, but once its up, its super easy to maintain and upgrade". Also with the CMS's there are many you can buy with custom "skins" to make it more personal to your company. You can also fine-tune it easier (or hire someone to do that end of it).

If you do it with something like Frontpage, then you have to be very careful and have everything planned out in your links, photo's, text or you will spend countless hours back-tracking and fixing small things that the end-user will see and be annoyed by.

you can see my website by clicking my user-name and checking my homepage.
  7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I DO like your layout Matt .... can't do that in FP ....I'm suppose to be able ....n I have a "box" template ...but it's a pain fore me to work with .... perhaps this is what your leaning towards ... I just us a plain template

I don't know .... I really didn't have that problem with Front Page ...not to say I don't have some dead links over the years as some change when I link outside my page to other web domains ....n not to say how other view my page is different than on my end ....

Photos n such n problem I've seen ....I can add- edit- cut text easy ... add a page fore a new topic or new service ....maybe I'm wrong I'm not a web master or such ...but fore me it was easier to learn Front Page than QB ....

I guess that's what I'm really leaning towards ... FP isn't the best way to create a page ...but it is easy fore the "lay man" to use n latter up grade by having some whom knows what they are doing ....

I wanted to learn some as I'm the one doing any changes down the road .... n in FP I had a web presence in just a few hours

Either way .... we all can agree that a web presence is important ... if not nessary into today's market
  8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

FP is a great way to start out, heck thats what I first used back in the day. There are many editors and many editors will do an excellent job, but like other things they just take time to do it up nice.

I mean no personal offense by this at all Steve, but your website while functional and informative was a little boring for me. I found a lot of wasted space in between lines and pictures. And I think the menu on the left side could be a bit larger too. I almost missed it over there. I've found investing in my website (and its ranking on google, msn, yahoo, aol) to be the best advertising I can do for "big sells". I've sound many jobs from just the website this year and hopefully many more. I hope to get some time to tweak it again soon. It's something I do once or twice a year usually.
  9. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

I learned how to do it myself. I figured in the off season I have more time than money.

However, some of the big name developing programs can be very pricey and complicated.

I went with SiteSpinner by Virtual Mechanics. The tutorials are very easy to understand and I had my site up in no time.

I hope this helps.