Website

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by M.C.L.C., Jun 15, 2007.

1. M.C.L.C.

M.C.L.C. LawnSite Member

This site has been in the works for a long time, several custom things including an online estimator, let me know what you guys think.

www.michaelscompletelawncare.com

2. tdf

tdf LawnSite Member

I really like it. What did it cost,If you don't mind me asking?

3. M.C.L.C.

M.C.L.C. LawnSite Member

Well i actually got it for free! my best friend since high school is huge into web design so he takes all the pics and designs everything and i take care of all his lawn care/landscaping needs and wants...i think it would be in the 6000 dollar range, especially since he made the online estimator especially for us, even trademarked it lol. so i'm pretty sure im getting the better end of the bargain :laugh:

4. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

WOW!!!

Do you own the company?Got any more pictures?

awesome site!!

5. M.C.L.C.

M.C.L.C. LawnSite Member

I'm Michael's Director of Operations, we went to high school together and have worked with him ever since then...roughly 8 years. i have more pics, but they are on my office computer, i might stop by the shop tomorrow and post em.

6. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

alright, thanks in advance!

7. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Decent site.

How do you get the music to turn off altogether?

The estimator looked nice. The photos of people working seem to add a lot.

8. M.C.L.C.

M.C.L.C. LawnSite Member

MDVADEN: After the intro which you can skip....In the box along the top of the page there is a little picture of a speaker, click it....you can change the song or pause and not hear any music at all. I have to ask, why is the site only decent in your opinion....i checked out yours and beside a whole bunch of writing that i soon go bored with and closed i didnt see much to write home about. So i'm guessing when you said decent you weren't comparing it to your site. I Hope anyways.....so what would you suggest to make this site a lil better than decent?

9. mdvaden

The first and most obvious reason is the music, which is a top item that good SEOs warn against using in websites. Second, the "skip" text is tiny and must be sought for. You know where it is, but nobody coming to the site knows where it is. It could be anywhere. Your design person should have dealt with that already. It should not be inconspicuous. Next, the speaker icon is known to you, but is not known to first time visitors. The services scroll at variable speeds, and must be played around with.

You have eye-candy and toys on there that actually make navigation harder. Especially since many people searching for information, need to read it, not play around with it. Not sure about your guesstimation of $6000... But if I was going to go with flash, I'd probably price compare against something like this for about $2500.

http://www.flashmint.com/show-template-1791.html It's from this site http://www.flashmint.com/ At that flash template site, I'd like to take an axe and chopping block to the sound on about 99% of them. Sound should be an option to turn on, not an option to turn off.

Some are more, some less, but about $2600 average to buy-out the unique price. And those are very developed designs. Actually, a lot of those designs could be improvised nicely, from the photography, flowers or web design categories. One drawback on those flash designs - including yours - is the need to find the scrollbars to continue reading.

In other words, the "page size" or potential client's "workspace" is dwindled to a skimpy little fragment. Maybe it fits the design, but its one more bit of work. The purpose of a website is not to make work for people. You are making people work to change music, work to stop music, work to change speeds of scrolling options, and work to read extra text.

So that's why I said you site is decent. Meaning its good. But its not an excellent site. Kill the music, slow the scroll speed, and it will be fairly excellent. You can't really get rid of the tiny text windows with scroll bars, but that's okay.

But I think you are confusing good design with eye candy and gadgets. Nothing wrong with gadgets, but they are simply options, not merit badges.

10. mdvaden

Want to see what an excellent site looks like?

http://www.highridge.com

That company has 100 times more money to spend on websites than the average landscaper, yet they adhere to a quiet, easy to navigate design.

What I really like in theirs is in the about the company part at top, where its easy to find their credentials, and testimonials.

They list their licenses, certifications, degrees, etc.

All that stuff that may bore some landscaper to read, but not for potential clients to read.

Highridge's website should be a study resource for most landscapers seeking to develop a website.