Website

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JimLewis, Dec 30, 2011.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

We added a little flare to our home page. The main thing is the flash feature at the top of the page. But also recently added the photo slide show thing in the center of the page as well. The focus of the home page features is more on landscape design/build than on lawn maintenance (even though almost half of our business is maintenance).

Anyway, let me know what you think of the new flash features. (You may have to re-load the page to see the new features if you've been to our site before.)

www.lewislandscape.com

2. calvinslawnservices

calvinslawnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Looks great!!

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Your website looks very professional. Very nicely done and everything appears to work. AA++

4. Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah umm that makes my website look like a cartoon. I'm actually in the process of changing it though.

If you don't mind me asking, what does/did your designer charge you? Mine is charging me $50/hr which I think is a tad steep.

5. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow Jim. You are always raising the bar. How did you do that? Was that your idea?

6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks all. I've been working hard on putting all of this together lately. Still doing a ton of work updating a lot of the pages on my website myself every day. It's been exciting. But the home page animation I've been really looking forward to. I was so excited once it was done and loaded that I had to share....

I have been using 3 different website designers. The firm that did the flash animation at the top of the home page charges $120 an hour. Pretty steep. But I've never seen a firm that is as creative as they are and can do what they do. It's a very competitive market in my area and little things like this always help us stand out from the crowd and land us more jobs. So to me, the rate they charge is worth it.

It was about 25% my idea and 75% the web designer's idea. I sort of directed them toward what I wanted in general, provided them with some photos, etc. and told them what kind of flash feature I wanted in general and they took my ideas and made them way better.

How they did it? I don't know. Flash animation. You can do all sorts of cool stuff with flash these days. The trick is to make it load quickly so the customer isn't waiting for like 60 seconds while the page loads.

7. matt spinniken

matt spinniken LawnSite Senior Member

Looks very very good Jim! Really nice idea and their design is spot on, I like how they made your logo a kind of tag. Maybe add a couple pictures of your guys maintaining the landscapes with a couple words on your maintenance services to cap of the flash.

Either way one of the nicest sites I have ever seen in this industry....inspiring!

8. TriCityLawnCareLLC

TriCityLawnCareLLC LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ohio

9. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

That is a good idea. It would be neat to have maintenance guys appear in the flash after the finish product is flashed. Also might be neat to get a flash of irrigation running. But might be too much to digest? But that would cover EVERYTHING. Design. Install. Irrigation. Maintain.

10. sweetland

sweetland LawnSite Bronze Member

I like it, only thing I would change is how the pictures zoom in cause it spends more time focusing on a very small area vs if you zoom out you have more time to look at the full picture. Just my .02 but I really like it