Websites?

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by Raven386, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

is it worth getting a website up and running for my business? do you guys have websites? and whats a good place to get one from?? i have no idea about .com stuff, so......

2. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i use freeservers with their 10 pop email package and used godaddy.com to pay for my web name.

3. poolboy

poolboy LawnSite Silver Member
    from earth

I know of a good web designer at a reasonable price, send me a PM if you’re interested.

4. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

oh and i forgot i used the gopher templetes for my site

5. thomcat88

thomcat88 LawnSite Member

The internet and web sites are like the mother load of yellow pages!
    People will surf the internet to find products/service nowadays. My yellow pages allows me to add a few inches under my computer monitor.

Even a small site will get you business. Domain names you can get
    for 11.00 per year, and web sites can be FREE (but be careful, sometimes you get what you pay for) or around 300.00 per yr ALL IN.
    http://www.jmwd.com/webdesign2.html#free

6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

i just visited the poly creative site.. none of the links worked and all i saw was a race car video. I like race cars but i learned NOTHING about your company and what you can provide me.

My guy was pete brayman from shocking media.

pm me if you would like his info

he did our site at www.integrityoutdoorlighting.com for about half the price we were quoted by others for the flash and SQL database i can edit myself.

7. alyssa

alyssa LawnSite Member
    from FL

Definitely get a website, its a great tool for marketing yourself and your business and it doesn't have to be costly. As someone else mentioned, definitely use GoDaddy.com for the domain, they are reliable and cheap.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I lease a server because of a hobby site I've been working on for many years, so then I decided to build a business site since hosting wouldn't cost extra and now the business pays for the hosting as well.
    Either way, hosting is cheap at $8 - $10 / month it wouldn't kill me to pay that because a dedicated server runs me closer to $100 / month but I have more fun this way... Registration I found for $3 / year or thereabouts, I mean it's really not expensive.

As for design, this takes a lot of time and work to do yourself while the initial learning curve is a bit sharp at times and it is a long one, still I find the DIY method is the most rewarding but that's just me. After a year of collecting pictures and articles, I just finished the bare basics in March and haven't seen much but it takes time, the main page has a google pr of 4 and for $300 / year I can get listed on Yahoo which gets a TON of good traffic and is likely the best advertising money can buy (at least in my experience it has been).

Other than that, the link is printed on my business cards and my email address is also listed there and it is myname@nameofmybusiness.com so it looks kinda pro on the cards, I like it already if for only that reason.

9. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

My site here cost me $500 a couple years ago to have designed and $8 a month for hosting. I pay like $5.99 a year for the domain name.

10. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

As others have said it is a great advertising media, cheap, efficient, targetted.

However if you don't make the site search engine friendly you're not going to get the results you hope for. Spend some time doing it right and the results will be there in time. (or hire someone to make sure its done right).

I get compliments on my site all the time from new and existing clients. It's always in a state of "tweaking" but the layout stays pretty static which also helps people navigate the site.