Websites

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rcreech, Dec 13, 2007.

1. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Do you guys have websites? Are they working for you?

Last year I had limited money to put into a website, and it really showed when it was completed. I had a friend that was laid off work so I had him do it for me, and it really sucks. Now I am looking at getting some professional help, but they want between $2000-3000, but said it will be awesome and more professional looking then the one I currently have.

Is that reasonable? Sounds like a bunch of $$$$$$ to spend on something that may not make much. I would rather spend on on a mailer but also understand the importance of having a good website.

Do you think websites are important? Are you getting any business from you website?

ANY POINTERS YOU COULD GIVE ME WOULD BE GREAT!

Thanks,

RC

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

rcreech,

I used Market Hardware http://www.markethardware.com/ for my site.
    They did a great job for about $800.00. Very easy to work with and great followup. You are able to edit it yourself whenever you need to.

3. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

thing to remember concerning a website, in my opinion of course, is not necessarily how it looks but who can see it.

A website is your store front. One could have a real snazzy store front with fantastic visuals and all the bells and whistles....but if it is located in the middle of a desert with no roads leading to it, who will ever see it?

With just a little research you could do this yourself. Or you can hire someone, I have found that many graphic artist types that can create wonderful sites dont know squat about SEO (search engine optimization). If you hire someone you want to be sure they know how to get your site listed in the top of your local areas search engines.

In my opinion it is much more worth while to have a site that is very search engine friendly and not so fancy rather than very fancy and professional looking but with very little traffic to it. Of course the goal would eventually be to have both, professional looking layout and top search engine ranking. But as a beginner you really want to keep in mind that you need people to find your site for it to generate $$$$ for you.

Tons of books on this subject, if you got the time, or hire someone who's top priority is SEO

good luck

4. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Lawnservice,
    That's good advice. Market Hardware registered my site with the major search engines and used key search words in the text. They will do SEO for an additional fee. You get your money's worth with them.

5. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

yes i have a site, i designed it using a few "borrowed" programs from a buddy:)

i mainly set it up so i could have mike@companyname.yadayada

word of mouth have done far more for me than anything

6. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

word of mouth/referrals will probably always be your #1 source of new sales. But in todays world of I want it and I want it now a website with good search engine optimization will generate good quality leads.

yellow pages are rapidly becoming obsolete
    direct mail works but is costly and time consuming
    telemarketing,wont generate the leads it once used to
    door to door will work...time consuming

todays consumer will log on to their computer and shop. if you do not have an internet presence you will lose out on some good leads.

its the 21st century man

wooohooo

7. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one and it works well for me. I pay a whopping $11 a month and designed it all my self. I got it through yahoo small business.
    www.shadesofgreenlawnservice.net
    Keep in mind that i'm just a working slob, NOT a computer guy.

8. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Rodney, check out godaddy.com
    they host websites, cheap rates, you can also build your own website tonight, or buy one, they are a big outfit good prices 24 hour tech suport.

9. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it's a great idea to have a good website to promote your business. I see it as another way potential customers can investigate you, without any threat of high-pressure sales. As I'm sure you already know, there are a lot of people who feel much more comfortable learning about your company through your website than they would be talking to you in person, or even on the phone. If you have a website, they can go to it at any time of the day, or night. If you present a website that peaks their interest in you, they have the option to call you to learn more. If your website doesn't leave them interested in learning more about your services, they can always focus there attention elsewhere without you ever knowing they investigated your company.

I can't tell you how many customers have signed up with me because of my website. Some have signed up for my program because of the pictures of my lawns on my website. Others signed up because of what makes my program different than my competition's programs.

Anyway you look at it, a website is a tool that helps you gain, or increase the interest potential customers have in your company. If you go to my website at http://www.par5lawncare.com, you'll be able to see how I set my website up. I created it myself using software I bought form Office Max for less than $100. The only other investment I have in it would be the time it took me to create it, my hosting charges through GoDaddy.com ($5.99 mo) and the price of buying my domain name ($1.99).

With you being as smart as you are, I know you wouldn't have any trouble making your own website the way I did. If I can do it, anyone can do it. A good website can be the difference between a potential customer not signing up and them deciding to sign up with your program.

10. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice site Vic, good pics.