1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Florida Gardener, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Man seems like all I'm seeing right now is sod webworms...anyone else?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

my biggest problem lately seems to be more cottony scale than I can remember!
  3. Yea, I'm noticing that too....also mealybugs on jatropha late spring has been the norm here the past few years.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Worm Web Worms are easy to control. Your Pesticide Guy is not doing his job if you see them.
  5. Ric

I agree. The PCO hasn't been to the property since the most recent attack(this week). They are on an every other month program. All of the webworm activity popped up this week.

I still am amazed that I have NEVER had a chinch bug problem at any of my properties and guys are ALWAYS saying how they have so many problems with chinch. I control the irrigation and do the fert so I at least know that cultural practices are in check. Maybe the guys that are having problems aren't in control of those factors......
  6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Heavy Rain or Over Watering can drown Chinch bugs and keep them in check. BTW we are in a Drought.
  7. Hmmm didn't know that(overwater). Yea, we are desperate for rain down here, BIG TIME.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. tjlco

tjlco LawnSite Senior Member

I sure would love to be in control of some of my customers water...no matter how many times I explain myself they can't figure it out....10 minutes a zone for rotary heads is not enough!!!!
  9. Yea dude, rotor zones need at least 10-15 more than a pop up zone. I have some properties that have rotor zones and this drought is killing them.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

In the average lawn, if the sprinkler system is was put in half way properly, rotors will need to run about 4 times longer to put down the same amount of water as a spray zone. Of course, it can be much more skewed than that if the installer cut corners.

Right now, as general rule of thumb, I tell people to run their rotors for 60 minutes twice a week. That will give them about .8 to .9" of precipitation. 15 minutes twice a week for sprays does about the same. That keeps most of them alive. Of course when it's 95F and arid, I bump the controllers to 120-130%.