Wedelia in St. Aug

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Florida Gardener, Apr 10, 2014.

1. I'm getting ready to Aerate a 20-K Floratam lawn that has some Wedelia. Can any herbicide kill it or will it only stunt it?

I'm asking cause the entire lawn needa to be hit with an herbicide and I'm thinking that after the aerating the areas that have wedelia could fill back in with st aug....
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

In Bahia you may have a chance with spot treatments of Round-up 41%, however in St.Augustine I believe you will need to start all over with a new lawn. The root system is actually stronger than St.Augustine root system IMO.
    easy-lift guy

3. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

4. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Helpful and more less what I recommended. Just plan on complete removal and hope you get everything the first time.
    easy-lift guy

5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Metsulfuron methyl. 1/2-1 oz per acre. Image also does a number on wedelia, as people found out when applying that to control sedges in a wedelia ground cover. Applying triclopyr to St Augustine will kill the grass.

6. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

try blindside...great product

7. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

It's the metsulfuron in blindside that will kill it, the sulfentrazone would be a waste unless there is also a sedge problem. So I would go with greendoctors advice and save some money and go straight metsulfuron. Interesting side note I found atrimmec will wipe out wedalia, sprayed a shrub that had it and it was toast not long after. Not a solution to the op problem but interesting anyway

8. greendoctor

Forgot about that. I roll my own out of MSM 60 DF and low rates of Dismiss. Whatever you apply, it has to penetrate the thick stems and hairy leaves.

9. greendoctor

Choice of surfactant also affects results. At least in my neighborhood, wedelia is a tough vining ground cover that willingly jumps into lawns. There is no shame in hitting it twice 30 days apart. 1/2 oz 30 days apart works better than once at 1 oz.

10. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

Jumps all over everything here too if given the chance. Very aggressive grower. Msm 60 for me too, can find it super cheap sometimes