Wedelia problem in St augustine.

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by elitecuts, Mar 14, 2012.

1. elitecuts

elitecuts LawnSite Member
    from wpb fl

Got a client that had a small problem with wedelia about a year ago, I'm new to the full service aspect of landscaping and now want to offer a great product to my clients. The wedelia has gone crazy..... he has a sprinkler system which isnt helping but need some feedback of products to eliminate wedelia. Hoping i don't have to do it manually but If i have to so be it...

2. RedRobin

RedRobin LawnSite Member

Mix Manor and Dismiss - it will smoke the Wedelia

3. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

4. elitecuts

from wpb fl

Thanks jvanvlite..... I started to research taking the class for it at the Mounts, but took the master landscaper course instead, so that is my next step. As for the web-site, i looked at the earlier and I saw that gylphosate works, but I only have super concentrate RU. if there is another product that has another gylphosate in a lower dose I'd love to know it. I do most of my shopping at the Lesco/John deere dealership so any specific product is appreciated. Also wanted to make sure that all i need to do is take the day long course, take a state test and then I'm certified to apply herbicide?

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I hate to correct the U of F but I have found Wedelia to be Resistant to Roundup, 3 way Herbicide, and a whole list of selective herbicides . Fact is I use Roundup as a Over the top Select Herbicide on Wedelia. Yes it is considered invasive plant but I use it as a shady loving ground cover in utility areas.

BTW I find Basagram does a nice job of controlling it.

Elitecuts

In order to legally Treat Residential turf in Florida you need a Commercial Lawn & Ornamental License. I Qualified with a College Degree in Horticulture and 1 year working under a CPO. Other Qualify by working under a CPO for 3 years.

My advice is hire a Pesticide company to Treat the problem.

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Correction or addision to the above.

Roundup Does STUNT Wedelia but it comes back pretty darn quick.

Glyphosate does have a wide range of uses at different rates. ROW work they use Roundup for Chemically mowing.

7. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Didn't agree with the U of A either, Floratam hates Glyco. Anyway he needs a license, so that's all there is.

How does the St Augustine hold up with Basagram and @ what temperatures?

8. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Once you have secured your proper license, I would suggest 41% Round-up at a rate of 2oz per gal of H2O + 1 ts of dishwashing liquid as a spreader sticker. I treated my own lawn that way and than removed all of the dead material afterwards to lay all new sod. The Wedelia never came back and I did not have to waste time and effort trying to control something that I never wanted in the first place. I suspect your customer may want to consider this option as well since IMHO you will never completly remove all of this material otherwise.
    easy-lift guy

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Many "yardmen" here have made the mistake of applying Certainty or Sedgehammer to a bed of wedelia to control purple nutsedge. The damage is even worse when they have added the recommended 0.25% surfactant to the spray. I have controlled wedelia with 0.5 oz metsulfuron per acre. A touch up application is needed a month later.

10. elitecuts

from wpb fl

Your right, I thought if I got the generic landscaper license for applying RU that would cover it...... Wrong!!! No lawn care/ landscaper may apply and chemicals to turf unless the product is purchased by the customer. Seems silly but thats the law
    Posted via Mobile Device