Wedgle injection systems...........

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by K&L Landscaping, Nov 17, 2005.

1. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I have 511 Hemlocks infested with HWA to be treated. I have done several HWA treatments before by soil drench or spraying. The problem with these trees is they are right beside a waterway so that eliminates my usual methods of treatments and only leaves me to inject them. I think I have pretty much decided on the Wedgle but I can't find any purchase info. or pricing on them. If someone could tell me how much they are selling for and where I can get one ASAP that would be great. Thanks.

2. toxic man

toxic man LawnSite Member

Hey there,

I believe what you are looking for is an Arbor Systems tree injection gun. The wedgle is only a stopper that you insert into the tree as an injection port. I do not own one, I have played with one at a continuing education class and have heard great things about them. The apx costs are; gun 500, chemicals 300 per vial. Arbor systems does have a web site, they only sell through dealers.

Lou

3. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

4. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

If you use Merit and soil inject as close to the trunk as possible, you should have no problems with off site migration of the product. The Kioritz soil injector should work well. You'll only be applying a few ounces of mix per injection site at the most. Adelgids are easily controlled by that method. Neal

5. K&L Landscaping

According to NC state pest. law's no soil injections, sprays or drenches within 50 feet of a waterway. Thanks though for responding.

6. Neal Wolbert

Well the law is the law, so be it. Have you looked into the Mauget method? We hear pretty consistent favorable reports about their system. The small amount of product moving through the tree limits the length of control with any bark injection system, but it appears to be your only choice. The end cost will probably be a lot more than soil injection. Reports on the Wedgle system have been all over the map up our way. Effectiveness depends on the accuracy of the injection itself, of course. Treating 511 trees will qualify you to teach a "how to" seminar :) Neal

7. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

we use the arbor system wedgle with good success on many pest including HWAdelgid.

but one thought....511 trees...are you gonna half to get down on your belly and crawl to get to the trunks?
    One injection aprox. every 5" around the trunk...could mean a whole lotta crawlin?

8. K&L Landscaping

Unfortunately, about half of the trees will require crawling!!! Oh well, I can assure you that was built into the price payup . From the research I have done on the Wedgle and the Mauget it seems like the Wedgle will be MUCH faster. Anyone have thoughts on the time effeciency of each product? The only thing with the Mauget is I can see me and my guys losing a whole bunch of cordless drills.

9. K&L Landscaping

Hey Neal, thanks for the replies I really appreciate it. Do you use the Mauget system and if so could you PM the exact mthod of use? It seems like it could be really time consuming with as many trees as I have to treat.

10. Neal Wolbert

We haven't used Mauget for years because we have gone exclusively to the Kioritz soil injection method. I did meet with owner of Mauget and listented to him very honestly share the benefits and draw backs of their system. I was impressed that he wasn't trying to impress me, but just tell me the truth about their products. I do think Mauget dosing might be more accurate, but it would take much more time, you're right about that. Neal