Weed and Feed

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tocs93, May 2, 2005.

1. tocs93

tocs93 LawnSite Member

This is my first year doing apps. and I treat approx. 350,000 sq ft. Most of my lawns have very few weeds as I am approaching my 2nd app. for mid to late May. Lesco is trying to sell me their Weed and Feed w/ momentum polyvex which is about twice as expensive as 24-5-11. I use a backpack sprayer to spot treat with Momentum which is a pain in the ass on a few new lawns i just picked up that have a lot of weeds. My question is, do I need to use the Weed and Feed to play it safe or should I stick with the 24-5-11 on the lawns with minor weeds and only use the W and F on the new ones with many weeds?

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can reduce control product usage and still maintain the appearance you and your client wants and increase your margin due to decreased product costs, thats great. It is not mandatory that you blanket treat every lawn. You are being hired to maintain a weed free lawn how you do it is your business.

That being said I would go with the 24-5-11 (with Fe??) and spot treat where necessary. Blanket treat the lawns that are inundated with weeds with the Lesco weed-n-feed.

3. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

That is an interesting thought.
    My lawns are small. Backpack spot treat has worked ok except on large lawns full of weeds where the whole lawn needs control. (using up the whole backpack- req, re-fill) Maybe weed and feed would be a good choice for my first app that includes weed control, for those weed filled lawns. keep us posted if you try this concept.

4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

The major downfall to the granular weed and feed products is the broadleaf weeds must be wet, from dew rain of irrigation, in order to work.

Weed and feed doesn't work well as a first application (April in my area) because you have to hit what you wan tto control. If the weed hasn't emerged it cannot be controled by weed and feed.