Weed B Gone

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassyfras, Jun 27, 2001.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi guys,

I was wondering if I should apply Weed B Gone to my customers lawns?How much should I charge for this. And does it work well? Does it harm the lawn at all and is there any speacial techniques(SP) tp putting it down.

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

grassey--I would think that you would need an applicators license for this. also I think there are better products available. for example: lesco momentum.

GEO

3. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

grassyfras,
    Are you licensed to do lawn applications? Ortho Weed B Gone will
    work but a Three Way herbicide like Riverdale Triplet or Lesco's
    Three-way would be a much more economical choice.

4. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

From what I was told I dont need a licencse here from how im doing it. I know I can't even get a license even one if I wanted to. But customers request it and I tell them Im not licencesed. I would only do this on 1 yard and the rest family. I would only charge for my expenses and not labor. Thats what I do. I just make there yard grow so i can cut it weekly and get rid of the weeds so it looks nicer. I figured that would be legal. Is this? maybe I should stop.

5. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

I think you should check with your state's Department of Agriculture. The way you are applying this product is in a commercial manner and therefore, as the others pointed out, it would seem you would need a license. If it is important to you and your clients that the lawn looks good (which is a good thing...), and if you are unable to obtain a license, maybe you can look into subbing this portion of your service out to a qualified, certified company. Better to be safe than sorry. Good Luck.

Sean Adams
    www.lawncaresuccess.com

6. jasonp

jasonp LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

It works I put some on my yard to rid it of a couple of clover spots, but now I have some nut grass coming up and a little crab grass here and there so I'll have to get something else for that. The main problem around here is to get a good product to apply you have to drive 2 hours to get it. Then only way I would apply to a customers yard was if it was a older lady that wanted me to but this weed b gone is so easy to use most of it you just hook it up to a hose pipe and spray away. I dont see nothing wrong with spraying it in a customers yard if they wanted you to, license or no license who gives a flip. In this little town I live in you have to pay 105.00 a year just to cut grass and have a city license and the state is only like 20 dollars.

7. KD'sLawns

KD'sLawns LawnSite Member

Grassyfras, how the law reads in my state is that if you are getting compensated for spraying then you are required to have an applicators license. Most of the time, I will sub out any large properties and will spray the small ones. They must buy the weed killer and I do not charge for the labor. I am getting ready to take the exam for my commercial applicators license this fall.

8. dhicks

dhicks Member

State laws regarding pesticide use/application can be written by the state to be more restrictive than federal law provides for. Unfortunately, in this case, if you are not licensed, you cannot apply pesticide for commercial purposes.

Besides even if you could, do you want the liability associated with pesticide applications? Should you kill a customers yard or garden plants or even the neighbors plants from drift or run-off, you are liable. Be prepared to get you checkbook out.

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

a tip . you may get a large fine as in thousands of dollars.
    but the biggee is you wont be allowed to apply for a licence
    in the future. this was told me by a friend of a friend who got caught here in nc.are they watching teenagers out in yds with
    sprayers. um could be

10. jasonp

jasonp LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

People we are talking about weed b gone here. You can buy it in any store like wal-mart,k-mart,lowes,homedepot, anywhere. You dont have to mix it you just hook it up to a garden hose and spray. I dont understand the big deal, he was talking about sparying maybe one customer and the rest family. Hey if im standing in my mother, brother or any of my family spraying something they bought at at local store no body better not say nothing to me.