Weed Block

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by vipermanz, Jul 14, 2001.

1. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

Which is Better
    Fabric
    Plastic
    ?

2. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

I have found that a good layer of mulch (3'') does the trick for me. I have recently begun using Snapshot in my ornamental beds, the spreading the mulch with tremendous results.

3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks!

4. Lawncaregirl

Lawncaregirl LawnSite Member
    from MA

I hate to disagree...but, there is no weed barrier with mulch. Even with mulch over 3" thick you will still see weeds eventually. I find fabric is the best, also don't be afraid to use plenty of stakes...the customer is paying for them. A job done right makes a happy customer who hopefully has a big mouth!

5. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

Hmmm...Fabric under mulch??? Those are fightin' words around here!!!

Eric

6. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

To answer the original question, if you choose to use a material barrier you should use fabric. The fabric is designed to allow irrigation to filter through to any plantings in a bed. I think from the many past threads on the subject of fabric vs. no fabric, 50% of us use it & 50% of us don't.

7. Craig Turf Management

Lawncaregirl'
    Even with a layer of mulch 3'' thick on top of weed barrier, you will still see weeds eventually.
    Take care, Bill Craig;)

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i have to agree with the lady, ive used fabric, and have not used fabric, i think the fabric has a slight edge, u still get weeds, but less of them.

9. Craig Turf Management

bobbygedd,
    You're right (maybe) about getting slightly fewer weeds with the weedblock, but when the weeds do come,and they will, you will pull them. The root that is grown through the barrier will probably remain when you pull this weed, since it can't get through the weed barrier mesh. Then you have perrennial weeds coming back from that part of the plant that you couldn't effectively pull through the weed block fabric.
    Also, cultivating/aerifying the bed in the future, along with adding additional plant material to the bed at a later date is a oain where your legs meet your waist.

I probably won't argue any further. I've said my piece. Maybe weed block has it's place, just not in my gardens.

Take care, Bill Craig:blob3:

10. Comet

Comet LawnSite Member

I just used about 1200 sqft of 40 mil fabric today,, Ill always use fabric over plastic
    I see a lot of mulch jobs done without it, only to be weed city several months later yuck

I submitted a bid to this dinner 3 years ago,,(Oh do I steer away from dinners now) and had filter fabric to be installed,, they were furious and said no etc,, oh well
    Some other fellow did the job 18 months later lol and still didnt put down any fabric,, looks like cr** and he ignores it on his maintenance
    I cant figure it