Weed Burners, Boilers, Steamers...These any good.

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by TG2012, Apr 3, 2009.

1. TG2012

TG2012 LawnSite Member

2. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

My son and I have HOURS of service hours with Boy Scouts renovating areas that were once fire pits or the like. You have to REMOVE the scorched soil and bring in new, or you can till in good new topsoil or 'post, but the fired soil is sterile to a point it will never grow anything. All you can do with it is convert it back to minerals by breaking it up into very small particles within a new soil mix. I think I would pass on doing that to my home yard.

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I think it is a per weed "treatment", not burn the entire yard. ;) ;)

Haven't used either of these products so I can say if they work or not, but enough heat/fire will kill any plant .... obviously.

Anyone want to place bets on this being a spam post?

4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

5. TG2012

TG2012 LawnSite Member

Why would I be spamming?
    I'm just trying to start a lawn care business and looking for some alternatives to Weed Control in southern Ontario.
    Looks like I'll have to go with mechanical controls.
    Thanks for the help guys. :)

6. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

muddpuppy the folks up the road from you have done some large scale testing on fire burned areas and appying humates and with in 30 days they had the soil growing vegitation - contact Mesa Verde and talk to Joel - they are in Albuquerque. www.humates.com

7. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Oh no, not humates again... :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

8. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I was in KS for 12 years, burning off dead vegetation is not the same as applying enough heat to kill a growing plant. We burned native areas and ditch banks here this spring. The green vegetation underneath survived and is just fine. You get enough heat to KILL a tap rooted weed, and my money is on having to replace the soil to grow anything else. One of those devices shows ceramic pads to heat up hot enough to then scorch the weed. If you kill the root, you got hot enough to kill the soil. Maybe a dead 3" ring of soil isn't that big a deal and the surrounding grass will fill in, but my gut says no. FWIW, when you burn pastures or natural areas, your not killing anything. Your just removing debris. The ash becomes useful nutrients.

9. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Its not really so much burning as it is cooking, like green beans that are a little over done.

10. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

I have never used a torch or anything before just because I have only heard average reviews about it. I anticipate burned topical growth and healthy roots and or dead spots all over the lawn.

That drill bit on the other hand is definetly cool. Whether or not it just rips up roots... idk. Both methods sound like a lot of fun.