Weed Control Help

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Chill "Cuts" Lawn Care, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Chill "Cuts" Lawn Care

Chill "Cuts" Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from NC

I am starting my second year in the lawn care industry. During my first year I have gained 0 commercial accounts (didn't try for them), about 40 regular residential accounts and around 10 customers who call me when they can't get around to it themselves. Quite a few of my residential customers are asking me about weed control. I used an Ortho product for post emergent broad leaf weeds last year that worked pretty well in my personal yard, however I would like some advice on a pre-emergent for broad leaf weeds as well as advice for pre and post emergents for weeds OTHER than broad leaf. I can't really fix my customer's yards until I am comfortable fixing my own! Also, I have to get my pesticide licence first anyway. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Well, Cuts: I pass right by Farque going to New Berne. Firstly, what is the turf? You will need to develop about a 5 step program begining with a soil test. Soil that is too acid will lock up your fertilize (Does not let it react with soil and plants). Secondly, you MUST use a pre-em to prevent most weeds. Pre-emergent combos like Dimension or Barricade with fertilize will generally take care of a lot of problems. Anderson's or Lesco have these. Anderson's seems to have an edge over Lesco with prices that are in general a little less. You may have to do a split application if you have a long growing season and I think around Raleigh that it is longer. Both of these have to be watered into the soil but with Raleigh and surrounding area still in drought contditions watering with sprinklers will be a problem unless you have a well.
    Your broadleaf herbicides will be dictated by your turf. Bermuda, centipede, and St. Augustine cannot tolerate so many of the commerical things available for the fescues and bluegrass. Know and read your labels. There are NO things that are good for all. Ortho products are almost worthless.
    So: soil test, pre-ems now, and post-ems later.
    Roy

3. Chill "Cuts" Lawn Care

Chill "Cuts" Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from NC

Roy,

Thanks a million!

Chill "Cuts"

4. QLC- Rick

QLC- Rick LawnSite Member

Two things I'd advise:

1. walk into the local Lesco if you have one and ask. They've been invaluable to me.

2. Grab a sixer of Dt. Mtn. Dew, a big bag of cheetos, and click this link...

http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/Home/Default.aspx

5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Ditto:
    When I was at NC State (Years/Ages ago) I learned of them. Now they have that wonderful site which is great for a lot of problems that face everyone.

6. summitlawncare

summitlawncare LawnSite Member

i would also suggest talking to the folks at lesco. but might i suggest a combo pre and post emergent / fertilizer combo in your tank. I use barricade for pre emergent, and trimec for broadleaf post emergent, while adding urea to the mix to give the turf a boost for spring. my urea mix is about 25lbs per 200 gal. just a suggestion, should work for even your area. these other guys might have similiar or better suggestions though.

7. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Question on the Ortho products: (mentioned in this thread)

What if I happened to have a way of getting Ortho products VERY cheaply? I'm talking REALLY cheaply.

What about the Ortho 3 way, 3.6% 2,4-D, 1.8% mecoprop-p Acid, and 1.8% dichlorprop-p Acid, spiked with QuickSilver? It's retail marketed as "Lawn Weed Killer" but I think the AI's measure up to a lot of commercial 3 ways. I can get this at a coverage cost of $0.25/M. (not including the QS). No, don't ask me how I can get it so cheaply, but I will say this... it's legal. This isn't stuff that "fell off a truck".

My experience, while limited with this stuff, is that it's pretty effective. Thoughts?

8. Whitey4

Bumping this for any opinions in my last post above....

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Whitey. Sure--why not--since some dealers try to charge a retail price for wholesale quantities, anyway. Make sure to note the coverage from each jug. As long as you are putting out the same number of pounds per acre of active ingredient, should work fine. You will have a lot of bottles to get rid of, though.

10. Whitey4

Thanks, Riggs. I'm still a pretty small startup, so each jug covers 16M, I won't go through more than 4 jugs on my first broadleaf app. One jug should do about 6 houses for me. Being a solo LCO, I'll never have to cover the acreage most of the folks here do.