Weed control in a centipede lawn

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by stumpman, Jan 20, 2007.

1. stumpman

stumpman LawnSite Member

What is the best herbicide to kill weeds in a centipede lawn to get the broadest range of weeds (post-emergent). I will be spraying with a Perma- Green sprayer.

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Stumpman:
    See my post about weeds in colder temps. If you're going to spray now, things may not die as quickly as you'd expect. In the centipede lawns be very careful what you use. Atrazine is recommeded for St. Augustine and Centipede. St. Augustine does not really go dormant in the South as it is a cold climate grass like Fescue 31 and the bluegrass. Centipede on the other hand has the same growth habit. If you can live with it, wait but if you can get a good long spell of warmth like we had last week then spray. Lowes has a Image Product that is new that says "Atrazine" for centipede and St. Augustine. Image by itself in the warm months is great for a lot of the weeds. Do a search for "Image" and see the weeds it works on. I had great success last summer with it on sedge "Sandspurs" and Dollarweed. The Atraziine from Lowes is only 4%. If your sprayer is a two-gallon then it will take a little over a cup. I use the 41L that I get in Tennessee with my permit at the Co-Op. I put it in the Gilmore and hook a hose to it. 1 Pint will do about 5000 Sq. ft. Hope this helps. Central NC--would that be Cary, I have lots of friends around there and many sailing buddies from Raleigh. Roy

3. stumpman

stumpman LawnSite Member

RALmaroad
    I don't have a problem waiting a little longer to spray. I have sprayed Image a few years ago. The results were mixed, I don't remember the conditions when and after I sprayed. I sprayed Confront until they changed the label where you can't spray residential lawns. It done a great job! I tried Speedzone Southern last year and it did alright but not great. I am south of Raleigh in Sanford.

4. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Been through there many times by-passing Raleigh to New Bern for Sailing. Still have a great buddy in Raleigh and another in Cary. The "New" stuff made by Image is at Lowes. Go by and check it out. Lots of the chemicals that are currently used, I have never needed, but since I bought a house in Murrells Inlet, the gamet of different grasses and things to improve lawns are a diffenent and challenging piece of work. Roy