Weed control in a vegetable garden?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by M&MLawn, Jan 30, 2008.

1. M&MLawn

M&MLawn LawnSite Member

Hello All-

We are looking to see what you all use (or know can be used) in a vegetable garden to control weeds?

Any info would be excellent! We don't need to go organic or non organic....doesnt matter we are just trying to help the situation.

2. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I usually use "preen and green" early. I add some compost, some sterilized potting soil and a little peat in late March. Then around Arpil 7 or so, Preen and Green. Since preen and green has some N, don't go over board with too much organic matter... the label calls fo no more than 10% organic matter, although I go over that a little bit. I don't recommend using it if you will start from seed though. Better to start seedlings in a container and transplant.

I'm talking about a small garden, like 100 to 150 Sq feet. If you have a larger one, there may be cheaper approaches. I use the Preen and Green in my annual beds before planting, and then add some mulch about 2 to 3"s deep.

3. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Lay down 2 sheets of newspaper and cover with grass clippings.

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I have major success with just grass clippings