Weed Control in Beds at 30-55 degrees

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by herndonlawn, Feb 19, 2002.

1. herndonlawn

herndonlawn LawnSite Member

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me about a spray that I can use to get rid of weeds and some grass in cool temp. The temp is about 30- 55 degrees here right now and we are about to pine needle all of our beds. I just wanted to see if I could get rid of the weeds instead of putting pine needles right over top of them. Thanks

Zach Herndon:confused: :confused:

2. groundsguy1970

groundsguy1970 Banned

Try round up/ finale.....that's for annuals.
    Try round up/ trimec....for everything else.
    I mix in Surflan too.

3. herndonlawn

herndonlawn LawnSite Member

I was told that roundup would not work with this cool of temp. Is this not true?

Thanks
    Zach Herndon

4. Pacific Nursery

Pacific Nursery LawnSite Member

Round up is designed to work at temps of 70 and up(within reason) I think finale will work at lower temps, but read the label. Maybe a granular herb would work, apply the granular then mulch over the top:confused:

5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Try a Ester based 3-way, should work fine.

6. groundsguy1970

groundsguy1970 Banned

Contact Herbicides will disrupt all cell membranes touched.......if the root system isn't extensive you'll kill it.
    If it is you'll reapply.:cool:

7. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

I think this is what you're looking for. Casoron 4G isn't cheap. At least $2.00/lb. Look out though since someone will recommend the ag version which is cheaper, readily available from farm suppliers, & illegal on a residential property. If you go this route, hurry up. It's getting late for Casoron.

http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld08U004.pdf

Steve